Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Propane Gas Detectors

Have researched propane detectors, and would like to know preference. Replacing original propane gas detector and would like to know which brand preferred? Safe-T-Alert, MTI, Atwood, etc. Many thanks.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
If you're talking about the 12 volt detector I'd go with the same brand that's in the trailer.

One thing I did was replace the ceiling mounted smoke detector with one that's both a smoke detector and co2 detector.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Most reputable brands offer similar performance in terms of alarm threshold values, decibels of the alarm, etc.

For surface-mount, pick wichever model you like, but for a recessed mount, make it easy on yourself and use the same type you had before, so you don't have to cut a new hole for it.

You can get models that include an automatic shutoff valve (Safe-T-Alert makes one), that shuts off your propane when a leak is detected. That's probably overkill for many of us, but good for people who will be away from their trailers for a large chunk of the day with propane appliances running. However, even the models with automatic shut-off valves won't open your vents and windows for you. They won't get rid of the LPG concentration that originally set off the alarm; it will only keep matters from getting worse.

By the way, at least one Safe-T-Alert model with automatic shutoff valve is a combined LPG/CO detector. If you use one like that, you would still need a separate CO/smoke detector, because LPG detectors need to be near the floor and CO/smoke detectors near the ceiling.

And just to round out the info-dump, the biggest hazard with LPG isn't explosion; it's inhalation. The concentration of propane in the air that's hazardous to your health is only about half of the Lower Explosive Limit. So propane can hurt you long before it can blow up your trailer. Since propane tends to settle near the floor, you're most at risk of getting a lungful of the stuff while you're sleeping and your breathing zone is closer to the floor. But it's especially hazardous for small kids and pets whose breathing zone is always close to the floor.

On the plus side, a good propane leak should kill any mice infesting your trailer when they get a lungful!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I knew you would come up with something on the positive side..mice? I appreciate both inputs and think I will go with the Safe-T-Alert--I like the looks better (if that is a good excuse). I really appreciate the the information supplied. Thanks

PS...can you steer me toward a good UHF/VHF HD antenna. I am going to do away with the satellite antenna because I very seldom get a spot that gives me a direct line to the satellite. I am thinking of an OMNI directional so I don't have to hook it to a rotor. Just asking......Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
PS...can you steer me toward a good UHF/VHF HD antenna. I am going to do away with the satellite antenna because I very seldom get a spot that gives me a direct line to the satellite. I am thinking of an OMNI directional so I don't have to hook it to a rotor. Just asking......Thanks
This is the one that came with my Interstate. Works pretty well, and it's omnidirectional. RoadStar Omnidirectional TV Antennas - Winegard
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Just read the thread as am installing an LP detector in an old Tradewind. I searched the Safe-T-Alert site and could not find one with an auto cut off. Any idea of the model number?
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatrix1 View Post
Just read the thread as am installing an LP detector in an old Tradewind. I searched the Safe-T-Alert site and could not find one with an auto cut off. Any idea of the model number?

Just saw your post. I will check in the morning, but it isn't the one that came with trailer--actually, I like it better.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
MI Cigar Man

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Westland , Michigan
BECO LP and Pollution detector on 1985 AS 345

Airstreamers,

Does anyone know anything about the BECO (Baker Electronics Company), LP and Pollution detector and why it is mounted nearer to the ceiling than the floor on the AS 345? Suggestions for a replacement?

I understand that LP and CO are quite a bit heavier than air so the detectors should be mounted nearer to the floor.

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

RAH
rhandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lp detectors are mountedlow, at least all l ive seen. Co andsmoke detectorsclose to the Ceiling.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote