Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Propane Detector Install

The Newtec Industries Limited propane detector installed in my '86 Sovereign from the factory was not working when I purchased the trailer four years ago. I've used a CO protector in the rear corner bedroom as a precaution but felt that I had put it off long enough and needed a detector for the presence of propane. I pulled the detector out last year to take measurements of the flush cutout and started researching sizes as well as milliamp draw from new detectors on the market.

I looked at Atwood, CCI, Xintex and a couple more. Some of these units drew as much as 162 milliamps. One drew 125 and another a low of 46 milliamps. I chose a CCI Controls 7770 series vertical detector needing a flush cutout of 2 1/4" wide by 5 3/4" tall. The existing hole was 2 1/2" wide by 4 1/4" tall so all I had to do was make a few cuts a little higher and 2 1/4" wide, clear out the cut wood and drill 2 screw holes. The CCI Controls unit is a 2 wire unit wired directly into the system as was the Newtec detector. I thought about installing a toggle switch to shut the unit off when it is parked in the driveway or when I leave the trailer at the hunting camp. I have 265 watts of solar panels on the roof so I decided not to worry about the 46 milliamp draw. Pictures below show the simple install and the back of the old detector. While the sensor unit was probably shot in the old detector, the big problem was the ON/OFF switch which was so loose that it made no contact at all inside the detector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCIdectector 001.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	65730   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCIdectector 003.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	65731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCIdectector 002.jpg