Old 11-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Pressure Relief Valve Venting after Tank Filled

I filled one of my tanks on Friday. The temperatures were a lot cooler on Friday than today, Sunday. I noticed today a propane smell and a slight hiss. LP is venting from the end of the valve. I'm guessing due to the higher temperatures maybe the tank has built up higher temperatures. Is this normal and the venting will stop or am I looking at having to replace the whole valve. I have aluminum tanks.

Kelvin

Old 11-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Is this an OPD valve?

You need to replace it. Temp would not "build up" enough to "leak". How about the little side screw.. Is it snug?

Make sure the tank is away from your house, flame, enclosed structure until you resolve the problem.

What if you hook up the tank to your AS, do you still loose LP?

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I switched the regulator to the other tank when I had this one filled.

What does ODP mean?

Even with the main valve closed there is still LP venting slightly from the end of the valve which should be the relief valve.

The trailer is in storage now.

Kelvin
Old 11-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You have a potentially dangerous situation.
You should not have your Airstream with leaking LP in storage. Please tell us it's not indoor storage.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What does ODP mean?
OPD = Overfill Protection Device. Since your trailer is a 2008, your cylinders were probably manufactured in 2008 or 2007, and should have OPD.

The purpose of an OPD is to prevent your propane cylinder from being filled to more than 80% of its capacity. That extra 20% is meant to allow the propane room to expand during normal temperature increases. Meaning that if the cylinder was properly filled, the pressure relief valve should never open to vent propane, because the cylinder's internal pressure will never rise high enough to need it unless there's a fire that causes excessive heating. In which case having the cylinder vent propane and turn into a torch is better than it not venting propane and turning into a bomb.

All that means that if your cylinder is venting propane, you have a problem that needs to be addressed right away because something on the cylinder might be defective. Disconnect the cylinder, set it outdoors at least 50 feet away from any source of ignition (sparks or open flames), and wait until it's done venting. Then take it to get it checked out.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
After dinner tonight I went down to the storage unit, outdoors, opened covered, and the tank has stopped venting. I think it may have been overfilled slightly. I'll check it tomorrow after work. Since I purchased the trailer in April 2013 this is the first time I've refilled this tank.

Kelvin
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
After dinner tonight I went down to the storage unit, outdoors, opened covered, and the tank has stopped venting. I think it may have been overfilled slightly. I'll check it tomorrow after work. Since I purchased the trailer in April 2013 this is the first time I've refilled this tank.
All cylinders manufactured after 1998 are required to have OPD. OPD should have prevented the cylinder from being overfilled in the first place. So you still need to get it checked out in case the OPD is defective.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Everytime I've had propane tanks fill all they do is unscrew the bleeder valve and then wait for propane to come out. When does the OPD come into action? When the OPD works does it shut off the flow of propane. How does the filling equipment respond? Would someone trying to fill a propane tank with faulty OPD be able to advise the customer of a fault?

Kelvin
Old 11-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Doing that allows them to fill the tank 100% which is wrong. The bleeder should not be opened.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Seems that is the standard procedure everyone seems to do. Even before my Airstream on the Casita 20lb tanks when I had those two tanks filled. Hook up the tank to the equipment, open the bleed screw and pump it in until propane comes out.

Kelvin
Old 11-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On the old tanks the bleeder port projected downward into the tank, when liquid came out, the tank was full to the proper level.

If the OPD is broken and not closing properly, it seems to me that it is possible that a tank could be way overfilled, almost to the very top, while the attendant is trusting the OPD valve to do its job.

Maybe the new "foolproof" safe" tanks are not really as safe and as foolproof as the older pre-mandate tanks?

The short answer is, if the OPD valve is working right, it is impossible for the tank to be overfilled providing it is filled in an upright position.

Concerning the leak on this tank, either the pressure relief valve is defective, or the OPD valve is defective. Fuel leaking from the PRV is not normal under any circumstance short of the tank being in an inferno.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Pressure Relief Valve Venting after Tank Filled

Just food for thought, I put modern OPD valves in my old tanks, what I noticed is that the valves and their associated floats seemed to be no more rugged than the "gauge in valve" valves they replaced.

These gauges break all the time, in fact one of my two was inoperable upon removal. (i.e. broken).

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore...like/id44.html

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Park City , Utah
What a great write up regarding propane tanks and safety.
Thanks for posting J.Morgan
Old 11-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Doing that allows them to fill the tank 100% which is wrong. The bleeder should not be opened.
Al
Wow, this is interesting. I just filled one of my 30lb tanks that I understand, holds 7 gallons. The tank was empty and it took 7 gallons on the money. I asked the attendant ,who was no expert about the OPD and he told me that it prevented filling tanks completely full. There is supposed to be a space left above the propane.

I asked him about the 7 gallons he just put in my tank and he said that my OPD valve probably wasn't working. I am starting to think the same.

Question: Does the 30lb tanks hold 7 gallons or is it "about" 7 gallons?

And....Al, how do they actually fill a tank without opening the vent(bleeder)? I have been getting these things filled for many years in many states and that is the only way I have seen it done.