Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
plastic coating on the lines under the trailer?

i *tried* to search for info on this, but i wasn't even sure where to start looking... and everything i searched on gave me no results, so i'm sorry if this has been asked before.

the gas lines running under my trailer seem have a plastic coating on them. now, seeing as how this coating is around 40something years old its cracking apart and falling off. is that coating necessary? what's it for? if i need the coating (or something similar) how can i fix the problem that its falling off?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I do not believe the coating is necessary. Some may even say it is a hindrence. And I am rendering a non-professional opinion. The plastic coating may have been placed there to stop corrosion. However corrosion on copper usually stops at the surface.

If it were my rig, I wouldn't bother messing with the lines unless they were leaking.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greeting Katz.......

I checked and I can see no reason to worry about the coating. In the older AS I have checked I don't remember ever seeing it. All the newer units are bare of a coating. So I would leave it be.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
My gas lines are wrapped with what looks like old rubber hose. split up the side...wrapped around the pipes, secured w/ cable ties. I believe this is a common practice, if not "factory". Gotta figure, since copper is so soft, those lines hanging down there under the trailer must be prone to damage from road debris.
whoever put it on mine did a very professional looking job.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I placed flex loom around my LP lines near the wheels with the split facing bottom to allow any moisture out. Reason I did that was to help protect from projectiles coming off the tires. Has it helped? Most likely not, but it sure fed my ACD.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzklaw
i *tried* to search for info on this, but i wasn't even sure where to start looking... and everything i searched on gave me no results, so i'm sorry if this has been asked before.

the gas lines running under my trailer seem have a plastic coating on them. now, seeing as how this coating is around 40something years old its cracking apart and falling off. is that coating necessary? what's it for? if i need the coating (or something similar) how can i fix the problem that its falling off?
Airstream has never coated the LPG lines with anything.

An previous owner did it at some point.

It would serve no useful purpose.

Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
After spending about $700 to have new propane lines run inder the trailer, I took my RV mechanic up on the offer to protect them from road debris with a plastic sheath. The old ones were very dinged up (which is why I replaced them), so I think a little protection is better than none.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
After spending about $700 to have new propane lines run inder the trailer, I took my RV mechanic up on the offer to protect them from road debris with a plastic sheath. The old ones were very dinged up (which is why I replaced them), so I think a little protection is better than none.
Wrapping the LPG lines with a protective item like rubber water hose, is a great idea, that has been around for many years, but seldom used.

Traveling to and from Alaska or on dirt roads, will ding in LPG lines everytime. In fact, a trip to Alaska a few years ago, would flatten the LPG lines.

The elbows and T's can be covered with a tennis ball firmly held in place with tape, which also helps.

DO NOT "EVER" route LPG lines within the underbelly, unless you want to convert your Airstream into a "CANNON."

Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This must be true, because my trailer went to Alaska regularly with the previous owner.

However, as Andy says, the lines must be outside the body, where the propane can blow away if the lines leak, instead of collecting until it finds an ignition source.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
My 60 trdwnd also has rubber covering on the lines ,it is white in color ,maybe was grey many years ago ,but it does look authentic.seems this
is common on the vintage units .it has " mechanics wire "twisted around
it every so many inches .with the history of airstreams on back roads and
caravans in harsh environments ,im thinking its likely this was done to protect
the lines from rocks and damage.Mine is definately old covering from long ago.
Its still working under there ,so it will stay put.We have to remember the environment that these rigs were destin for in those days .mine went to mexico in 1960 and survived with alot of dirt inside the belly pan ,mud and
water probably at the time ,alot was crammed in the rear frame rails that now are new do to rustout ,anyway good idea to protect them I would say .

Scott