Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 16' International
Austin , Texas
overwhelming P gas smell while tanks off

I have experienced intermittent overwhelming propane gas smell outside trailer. While tanks are on. Or off. When I arrived t

Home the smell was bad for about five hours. Now no smell. Tanks were and are off. Before trip had tanks etc checked and they passed. What do you think
ClaireBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
IMO, you shouldn't be getting an overwhelming smell with the tanks on or off.
But to put a finer point on your question, by "Off" do you mean you turned off the valves manually at the tanks? Both tanks?
Has the level of propane gone down? 5 hours of a leak seems significant if you smell it outside. Is either tank now empty? (if the smell went away.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
With tank valves off test tanks and valves with soapy water and a sponge. If no leak discovered try same with valves open and work down the line.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Could it have actually been a smell coming from the batteries?

Those can smell like rotten eggs when they get cooked.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Also..If your trailer is indoors and you have or suspect a leak, get it outside or at least open garage door if that's the case. Propane behaves like gasoline being heavier than air it seeks the floor and will pool up like a liquid.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Possibly overfilled tanks bleeding down through the overkill valve.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Possibly overfilled tanks bleeding down through the overkill valve.
Good idea.
I thought though, that all tanks are now required to have a OPD or they can't be refilled?

Watch:

Did you travel from a cold climate to warmer?
Did you just get the tanks refilled?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
overwhelming P gas smell while tanks off

Please check with Airstream asap.

Our 2016 FC 27' had one of the bad propane regulators. We had *exactly* this symptom.

It was swapped out under warranty.

I'll go dig up some details. Edit: here is the thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ll-144250.html

Can you post a picture of your regulator?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Another thing to check is the bleed valves in the shutoff valve bodies. They look like brass flat tip screws, flush with the side of the housing. Make sure they are snugged down tight.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireBambi View Post
I have experienced intermittent overwhelming propane gas smell outside trailer. While tanks are on. Or off. When I arrived t

Home the smell was bad for about five hours. Now no smell. Tanks were and are off. Before trip had tanks etc checked and they passed. What do you think
Welcome to the forum! Could you give us an idea of the air temperatures related to this incident? Assuming you manually closed both propane valves on the top of the tanks, did the air temp rise perhaps because of sun exposure for the propane tank cover [thereby activating the pressure relief system in the tanks]?

Please answer the questions posed here, and you will probably get more refined feedback based on your facts.

Good luck

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I'm thinking over pressure, had it happen to me, had them filled on a cold day, then it warmed up and they where in t.he sun, I just used some propane and all is well..
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Who would believe?

On a related note: late last year I exchanged a Rhino cylinder at Lowe's and connected it to the grill. After opening the valve, I smelled the dreaded gas additive that alerts us to "the leak". I disconnected the tank from the grill, opened the valve to test just the tank. Sure enough! The tank started leaking gas through the turn valve! Yet the connector did not leak gas. However, when the tank valve was opened all the way, it did not appear to leak.

Try to separate the components to isolate the problem. I saw 'on line' that Home Depot sells gas leak detectors for 25 dollars. I can't advise on what to purchase. I never used one but I may go over there and buy one myself! May God Bess your day! jd
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
I too have had LP gas smells coming from my tanks. When I opened the lid to the tank cover, I would smell it. Didn't seem to make a difference if the tanks were open or closed. I soaped the whole dang trailer. Then I bought a high end propane detector made by Bacharach and "sniffed" all the lines. Nothing. My theory is the same as was mentioned in that the tanks have the ability to breathe. If they are over pressurized some gas can come out. I even got some smell when the tanks were not full. But never enough gas to get the leak detector to alarm. I figure if its not enough gas to make the detector go off, there is no eminent danger.
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongj View Post
On a related note: late last year I exchanged a Rhino cylinder at Lowe's and connected it to the grill. After opening the valve, I smelled the dreaded gas additive that alerts us to "the leak". I disconnected the tank from the grill, opened the valve to test just the tank. Sure enough! The tank started leaking gas through the turn valve! Yet the connector did not leak gas. However, when the tank valve was opened all the way, it did not appear to leak. jd
The Rhino Tank may have a double seated valve that seals the shaft when the valve is fully opened. Similar valves are used on Industrial gas tanks for various hazardous contents.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote