Old 02-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Exclamation Oven Pilot Problem - Broken Line

Hi all. Just found a small problem with my oven today as I prepared to cook some lunch. I managed to avoid blowing myself up, so that's a plus.

Apparently, the feed line to where I light the pilot actually severed during my last day of driving between Sonora Texas and Las Cruces, New Mexico. The line isn't just disconnected from where it feeds the pilot, but looks like it was almost cut.

Has anyone else ever had such an issue? If so, how was it repaired? I've sent an e-mail in to Oasis RV, as they are the closest Airstream Dealer to me right now. I'm including 2 photos I just took of the break.

Thanks for any information or insights you might be able to offer.

Rich

WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I had a similar problem in my vintage unit which dealt with just the line feeding the pilot light. Due to one of two screws holding the heavy, cast-iron main burner in place coming loose, vibration broke the line. The fix was to replace the line (and it was a chore finding 1/8-inch aluminum tubing AND the right-size ferrules).

From what I see in your pictures, my first suspicion is that the joint was never properly torqued, and the tube slid out of its fitting. If, by your observation, the tube broke off of where mounts, then I would have to cite the dreaded "running gear balance" issue espoused by ... others.

Feel free to send me hi-res pix off-line if this thread does not yield a solution you are comfortable with.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
It severed

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Feeling on the back of the nut that the line should go into I found a rough edge. The line definitely severed.

I'll be in Tucson in a few days, and hopefully Oasis can take it in. I'm not sure that I'm equipped to get at it myself, and really don't want to blow myself up over a need to have Tater Tots.

Over the past year of travel I've found everything in my sink / counter area has come unscrewed. Initially, when I bought the unit new the stove was never screwed into the counter area, and I brought it back to the dealership shortly into ownership. Looks like road vibration, etc., has worked it's magic on the whole kitchen area. Of course, this past year of travel has allowed my Airstream to do more than 15,000 miles. Still, I'm out a plate full of tots today.

Did you redo your line yourself? How in the world can you get at it? The space is so tight I'm uncertain how I could really get at it to even work on it myself.

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog
Old 02-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
He's ALIVE!!!

long time no see. or should I say "read"?

I just checked your blog...hadn't looked for a while, since you stopped updating. now I see I have some reading to do, in order to catch up on your adventures.

no help to offer on the oven, but something I've thought of trying sometime IRT "vibration" is to do a test with a video camera on a tripod, mounted in the airstream. I wonder if it would yield any insite into just how much is going on in the trailer while under way. maybe find another airstreamer that has a set of centramatics installed, (hmmm...lets see...not sure who might fit that role....), and compare the results. since it isn't legal to ride back there....
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
I had a similar problem when I bought my 64 Safari. The pilot feed line was broken right at the ferrule/compression nut. I think mine was also caused by vibration due to the dreaded "running gear balance" issue. I can get to it for replacement with partial disassembly of oven interior.

And as Tom mentioned it was a chore finding 1/8-inch aluminum tubing AND the right-size ferrules. I finally hunted them down at a home heating repair shop in Anchorage. I bought several feet of line, nuts and ferrules.

My pilot feed tube is S shaped about 6 long. I made a simple bending jig with a 2x6 and router and made up several new pilot lines (spare time during Alaskan winter).

I carry a spare now.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Saw this on an 04

Rich,

We experienced the same problem on our 04 Safari. The dealer fixed it with no problem. I do not know what he did. Take a look at the oven warranty.

If you are still in Las Cruces, the nearest airstream dealer is in Anthony TX just inside the texas line. It is American RV and Marine.

It's good to see your blog active again.

Jim Haddox
Old 02-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks for the ideas and glad to be back

Thanks for the ideas. I'm suspecting it is a vibration issue. I will be going to Tucson in 2 days, and hoping to get into the dealership there. Not sure if the oven is out of warranty.

Looking over the line, and checking the back of the area where it should connect I can feel the severed end of the line. Not thinking it slid out, rather it did break. Interesting to hear it happened on another 04 as well. Once I see how to disassemble the area I guess I'll be looking to carry a spare as well.

When I first purchased the trailer I found quickly the oven / stove was sliding out of position. It was never mounted into the counter area. Bringing it back to the dealer they fixed that issue, but I wonder if the initial movement in the first few months of ownership fed into the problem.

Chuck, interesting idea on seeing how much vibration occurs. I think when I move to Tucson next week I'll mount my "dash board cam" in the trailer and see what goes on while towing.

WBCCI #2551 | blog