Old 10-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #29
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Very easy solution to these dangerous situations developing

Just manufacture cooktops with no-flame cutoffs as happens in some other countries.

Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Have learned first hand that a pecan beer spilled directly on the propane detector will also generate a false positive!

Thanks,

2018 FB Twin INTL Serenity (The Flying Squirrel)
2018 F-150 Lariat (old blue)
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We have a 2016 it has smoke, CO and propane detectors. The propane detector is properly located low and near the stove. Adjacent to the detector is a label stating the date when the detector will expire. Plus the green light will change to yellow when the detector is no longer safe to use. Our propane detector went off during the night once. Scared us, could not detect any propane. Finally realized after googling that our dog had set it off passing gas. I had to vaccumn to get it to reset. They are sensitive.
robearl733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #32
Blog: ameliaairstream.com

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
We have a vintage trailer. The propane detector is located in the middle of my face. I can detect when the first tank is about to empty. My husband can’t, but I assumed that was just him.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Perri, subtle humor there...but I get it.
And - Hey I resemble that!!!!
Very well done.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #34
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
We have a vintage trailer. The propane detector is located in the middle of my face. I can detect when the first tank is about to empty. My husband can’t, but I assumed that was just him.
That particular detector will not work when you are asleep and some face-mounted detectors are not sensitive to mercaptin anyway. Electronic units are more reliable.
Betty can tell when the bottle is empty too, but one day I came into the motorhome and it was full of propane. Cooker was cracked on and not lit and her head was away from and above the stove so she hadn't smelled it yet. Neither had the detector whicwas more of a concern until I realised I hadn't reconnected it after disconnecting for winter storage. Gas appliance approval laws need stiffening up to prevent this scenario
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #35
Blog: ameliaairstream.com

1970 27' Overlander
Fillmore , USA
Tony, you have a point.

If we used our propane heater overnight, it might be an issue. But we donít, bc itís so inefficient. Also, the propane additive permeates the place before the pilot on the stove goes out. As you know, the strong scent settles at the bottom of the tank, like a sleeping skunk.

The tank tends to get low during active use, cooking or heating the rig up on a cold morningónot when weíre sleeping. We also have different habits camping in an old trailer, like switching the tank when we know itís low, before it empties. So weíre good. Less gadgetry is addition by subtraction to our camping experience. But Iím sure youíre right that itís a good idea for others.

How strange that they chose a scent that some canít detect. I think these persons must be exceptional. As soon as I catch a whiff, headache and nausea strike.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #36
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I am trying to determine where the power for the propane detector originates on my trailer? I would like to connect it to the "store" side to prevent power loss when not in use.

rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote