Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I had a friend who many years ago did a major upgrade on his boat he had auto pilot and all the bells and whistles installed ........but no CO alarm....I ran into him one day and he told he was taking the summer off to cruise with his son.... I was very jealous .... he did an overnight cruise with his son up the west coast to go diving about 2weeks later .....they found them drifting about a mile off the coast the next day both dead from CO ..... I wasn't so jealous anymore!!
Never disable your alarms!! Remember CO is orderless and tasteless you just get sleepy and never wake up.

rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
CO is lighter than air and the detector should be placed higher up
And propane is heavier and sinks to the floor. The propane detector will be within 12 or less of the floor.

quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firman View Post
I have learned the hard way about propane alarms -- CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE

We have an Airstream TT and a Truck Camper. Both have the same type of propane alarm. For some reason I changed my Airstream alarm at 5 years of age ( maybe I read it some place, maybe it did something goofy).

Several years ago on a fall trip in our truck camper in the middle of the nite in a Walmart parking lot our propane alarm went off -- note this is a big deal for us so we were wide awake. I hopped out of bed checked the stove burners ( none on) waved a magazine by the alarm and it silenced itself. ( My experience is that these alarms are super sensitive - it only takes a few stray molecules of propane to set them off.)

So everyone back to sleep. After another hour or so - a repeat performance when the propane alarm went off. And no apparent offender. ( As I recall it happened a total of 3 times in 1 nite.) The next morning I checked the date on the alarm - it had expired. Needless to say the next RV place we saw i was ordered to buy a new alarm and I was not permitted to put it in myself.

Moral of the story -- CHECK THE DATE CODE ON YOUR PROPANE ALARM EACH YEAR ( I assume all propane alarms have an expiration date.) If it is expired or soon to expire -- REPLACE IT!
Carbon monoxide detectors have an expiration date also. Usually about 10 yrs. but check yours to be certain!
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.matches View Post
Our dog used to like lying on the lino flooring because it was cooler and that is where the propane detector is....she passed wind in the middle of the night and set it off (scared the you-know-what outta her and us too...). We found out it worked just fine
Hah. Had the same happen many moons ago when we rented a class A. Except it wasn't a dog. It was my young 1 year old son in a pack and play right next to the detector!
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
CO is lighter than air and the detector should be placed higher up
Thank you for the information. That explains why ours is high up. We also have some sort of detector near the floor near the furnace. I'm guessing that is our propane detector. I'm going to have to check the manual.

But another question. The CO detectors for my house are the plug in type. Are they even worth having? I don't know anyone who has outlets high up on the wall.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Sallye, to answer your question.
The propane detector should have come with your trailer. Propane is heavier that air so it will be low to the ground, maybe 4 inches above the floor. And is likely across from the stove or in that vicinity to catch the most likely source of a leak relatively fast.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
"But another question. The CO detectors for my house are the plug in type. Are they even worth having? I don't know anyone who has outlets high up on the wall. "

Low is better than nothing. Check the back of them, there is likely a slip out plug that has a cord and would allow you to mount them higher up. In my two story house I kept them low in the living spaces. In the basement where the heater and water heater were (likely sources of CO) I did use the cords to hang them higher off a rafter to be more likely to let me know of an issue with the those particular pieces of equipment.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Our dog used to like lying on the lino flooring because it was cooler and that is where the propane detector is....she passed wind in the middle of the night and set it off (scared the you-know-what outta her and us too...). We found out it worked just fine
Same thing happened to us!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Ditto... sorta. Our Jesse was "winding her clock" in the middle of the night, searching for a more comfortable position. Having found it, she plopped down and her backside hit the test button. With googly eyes, I went to the galley to the smoke detector... no joy. Then, back to the bedroom and the CO detector...again, no joy. Flashlight. Dog that I was stepping over each trip...Voila! Propane detector.

This incident motivated me to build a maintenance checklist wherein I regularly check the smoke detector, propane detector, CO detector and fire extinguisher (along with several dozen other things, of course).
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
It's the dog. I've been blaming the dog for years. I've never...the dog never set the alarm off yet.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
Okay so we as a group have a decision to make...let this move into a "my dog farts" thread or start another under that title so that new folks moving into the world of travel trailers can get some insight without a lot of junior high humor (although I totally get the humor).
Just trying to answer some valid newby questions so they don't feel like outcasts.
Now - if a new thread of unusual propane sensor activation does happen please let me know as the junior high part of me would love to participate.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our Propane Alarm Works

Dogs do, in fact, pass gas often. I have one Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix cutie that belches, typically right in your face, when hes happy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1696.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	326323
His name is Vader, cause hes on the dark side...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Alarms are fun. Funny when they sound we think they are malfunctioning.
People tend to think that about circuit breakers and GFCIs as well. We get many calls for circuit breakers tripping and GFCIs tripping and the caller usually says they think they need a new circuit breaker or GFCI because it keeps tripping.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:45 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Carbon monoxide (CO) has a molecular weight of 28, the same as nitrogen, the most prevalent gas in the atmosphere. The next most prevalent gas is oxygen with a molecular weight of 32. The average molecular weight of dry air is 28.97, almost the same as carbon monoxide, and even closer when moisture is included since water has a molecular weight of 18. So you do not need to fret over whether the CO detector is high or low, since it will not tend to stratify in air.

Propane (C3H8) has a molecular weight of 44, so it will tend to pool at the bottom of a trailer, and detectors should be placed low.

Lee

Lee_G is offline   Reply With Quote