Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Old LP tanks vs. new Aluminum, refill?

Regular steel propane tanks have an expiration date stamped on it. Once the tanks reach the expiration date, refillers will not fill the tank due to (CA?) law.

Question: Is this true also for the expensive Worthington aluminum tanks? Also the same question for older vintage propane tanks.

I am undecided whether to go for the Worthington tanks at the addtional expense, and contend with an expiration date, if any. New steel tanks would be less expensive, but the old original tanks would match my 1947 trailer. I may lean toward the Worthington tanks for the high polish look, depending on any expiration issues. Suggestions are would be helpful.

Thanks,
Cliff
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
All tanks have an expiration date stamped on them. After that date, the tank must be inspected and a new date is stamped if they pass. As long as the tanks pass reinspection they can be refilled. One of the problems with steel tanks is rust, not an issue with aluminum. My 1979 Safari has the original tanks which have been reinspected.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hey Cliff-

Go out there and get those Worthington tanks. No problems, they are treated like any other tank. Reinspection as with any tank when needed.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
They all have to be recertified 12 years after initial manufacture. There are several methods of recertification, the most common being visual recertification, good for five more years. A visually recertified bottle will have a new date stamped in the collar preceded by the letter "E". (Think of "E" as standing for "Eye," hence visual recertification.) There is no limit to the number of times that a bottle can be visually recertified, as long as the bottle is in good condition.

If you've got an aluminum bottle in good shape, get it recertified! It's a BUNCH cheaper than buying a new one!! (Call around for prices. Recertification of bottles, like pricing of propane, is completely unregulated: Places will charge whatever they think the market will bear.)

Oh, and while you're at it, check to see that your bottle has the requisite OPD valve (Overfill Prevention Device, which you can see by the non-removable, triangular shaped handle on the top). If it doesn't, then have them install one on your bottle at the time of recertification.

Lynn
Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Long Beach , California
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks everyone for the replies, and appeciate the info. I have a long list of round tuits (getting around to it) to restore my trailer. I want to say everyone is so helpful. I hope that I will be able to help others along the way in the future. I may temporarily paint a couple of new cheap tanks silver, while I work on other phases of the project. The last touch will be the Worthington tanks!

LP tanks, check!
Next to do... the electrical wiring... Hmmm... how does the 110v shore power get wired into the old tube frame/shell... (new thread).

Cliff
cuyeda is offline   Reply With Quote