Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
o-ring of fire

The shut off/ service valve on one of my 40# horizontal tanks is missing the o-ring that rests just inside the valve. I found this out by switching from an empty tank to the full tank. Enough propane gas was leaking to start a fire. Shut the valve off and no kaboom. Problem is I cannot find a source for a replacement o-ring for the valve. Has anyone else solved this same problem?

tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Try calling the commercial propane dealer not uhaul or your local swap shop. I know they have had to replace orings on the fork lift tanks at my husband office.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What valve, the tank selector valve or the valve on the tank itself. O-rings are all common. You need the thickness and the ID or OD of the O-ring. mcmaster.com has them. Buna-N rubber will do the trick.

Perry
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
What valve, the tank selector valve or the valve on the tank itself. O-rings are all common. You need the thickness and the ID or OD of the O-ring. mcmaster.com has them. Buna-N rubber will do the trick.

Perry
Thanks - since the old one is gone I'll have to disconnect my serviceable tank and take that o-ring out and buy spares. I'm guessing the o-ring in a 40# horizontal tank isn't the same as that found in a 20# grill tank.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There shouldn't be an o-ring in the valve. Sometimes service techs add them in an effort to get a hard-nose POL to seal when tightened only by hand (without a wrench).

There are two kinds of POL pigtails: Hard nosed, which rely on a metal-to-metal seal, and soft-nosed, which have an O-ring built into the pigtail.

Hard nosed POL pigtails have to be tightened firmly with a wrench. If they still leak, they can be cleaned and given a thin coating of grease, which will usually get them to seal.

Soft nosed POL pigtails can be tightened with just a handwheel. However, the O-rings don't last forever (propane makes them deteriorate), and they're more likely to be loosened by curious kids or vandals.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hard nosed POL pigtails have to be tightened firmly with a wrench. If they still leak, they can be cleaned and given a thin coating of grease, which will usually get them to seal.
As routine maintenance, today I decided it was time once again to change the pigtails to my OPD tanks. I purchased the identically labelled items: Type 1 Acme nut pigtails marked 18CE made by Cavagna North America. The old pigtails have been attached by hand for about ten years, with zero leaks.
The new pigtails leak dramatically around the back of the green hand wheel, and I have replaced the old ones.
I am reluctant to damage the wheels by using a tool on them, as I will be returning them if they are defective.
If, however, these now require a wrench, I wonder if I can purchase soft nosed POL pigtails, as it seems a retrograde step to need a wrench.
I remove and refill bottles every week in cold weather, so this is not a "once-a-year" operation for me..
Nick
Old 02-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The newer OPD valves have a plunger that won't let gas flow unless it is connected to something. I think there is also an O-ring that helps it seal. The old tanks did not have an O-ring in the valve but there was on the hose connector.

Perry
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Last week I emailed Cavagna to ask for advice, and received no reply. The valves which leaked had a finned black plastic wheel concealed inside the green wheel.
I returned the leaking pigtails and obtained a refund, so I'm back to square one.
I would value hearing of others' experience.
Nick.