Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Roaring Fork Valley , Colorado
No Gas Flow

Hi everyone! So I have embarked upon my new adventure of living in an Airstream! Unfortunatly, I was told everything worked but in fact, nothing worked. I've got it all running now except for the gas supply. There is gas in the tanks, but it doesn't make it to the interior...no stove, furnace, oven or fridge. From what I can tell, there is only a regulator between point A and point B...is there something I'm missing or do I just need to replace the regulator?

Thanks,

Gavin
gcasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, we might be able to tell you more if we knew more about your particular Airstream, regulator, etc.

On my '70s trailer, there are individual shutoff valves for each appliance in addition to the valves on top of the propane bottles. The main line from the regulator could be pinched somewhere, which should be visible under the trailer if that's the case.

If the regulator is old you MAY need to replace it. They don't last forever, and sometimes when they age they don't provide the necessary pressure on the output side (that was the case with the fairly-new regulator on my trailer when I bought it, in fact.) It should provide a gas pressure roughly 11 inches of water at each of the appliances.

If you're in a well-ventilated area with no ignition sources close, you could remove the line from the back of the regulator and open a tank valve to check for flow out of the regulator. There are several troubleshooting steps you might take.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome to the Forums, Gavin! It would help to know more about your Airstream and propane setup. My first question regardless would be, did you open the valve on the tank?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If the unit has not been used in a long time, there may be air in the lines. You will have to let a large volume user like the stove run for a while to clear the air.

You did not say what year your trailer is. Sometimes there are individual shutoff valves for the appliances. Look in the outside compartments for the furnace, refrigerator, and water heater.

The new tanks, with the threads on the outside of the tank outlet, have a safety valve that will lock up if you open the valve too quickly. IT is designed to shutoff the gas in the event of a significant leak. Turn off the gas at the tank, disconnect the hose, reconnect it making sure to get it good and tight (hand tight), and then crack the tank valve on very slowly. I have had this trip me up more than once.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Are you sure the tanks are turned on?
If one tank has gas he regulator may have selected the other tank but that tank may be turned off.

If both tanks are on I would crack the output hose from the regulator and see if you smell gas.This will test the regulator.

If you have gas on the output of the regulator the stove should light almost immediately even if the lines have air. If the stove lights it may be necessary to crack the line at the frig nas hot water heater because those units have very small pilot and thus will not purge themselves in a reasonable time frame.

If you can not light the stove and have gas on the output of the regulator I would suspect a liquid blockage in the gas line. You are only working with a 11 in. of water column of pressure.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Roaring Fork Valley , Colorado
found the problem!

Thanks everyone! I have a 27' 1971 Overlander. I found the individual gas line valves and they were closed...that was obviously the problem. I appreciate all the responses.

Thanks,
Gavin
gcasson is offline   Reply With Quote