Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Hi Greg: I see your picture and can ad that my tanks have not been converted over to this new standard. Now that I am getting up to speed on some of this stuff I am surprised that the previous owner, who filled the tanks just prior to me making a deal with him, was able to get them filled. Funny thing is that two replacement valves of the new style were in a box in the kitchen?
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Thanks Terry: I like the idea of cracking the fitting to see if I am getting somekind of gas flow. Whenever I try firing up I never even get a hint of propane odor from either the frig or HWH. I have blown out any things like spider webs, fired up the heat and range on the Curbside to purge etc. Frig works on electric. Both appliances have electronic ignition that are both firing away.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #23
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
At this point I think you could take a logical approach to the problem by working from the supply back towards the appliance.
The propane lines are situated under the coach, at each junction for an appliance there is a 'T' or a straight compression fitting, with the tank valve on, starting at the regulator and using a pair of wrenches, crack open the fitting and check for propane flow (smell). At some point there will not be a flow of gas and the blockage will be able to be determined.
Several possibilities include debris from the tank valve, insect nest on mud dauber, a closure due to foreign object damage or even a closed valve (my unit has two valves in the lines underneath).
This is the same logic as chasing down a electrical problem and should result in a fairly quick answer as to a supply restriction.
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Newbie with propane problem on curbside

Thanks everyone for your help. Presently I am working of the theory that the problem with my propane appliances on the curbside are separate issues. The HW I discovered had a bad coil in the solenoid valve. I order a replacement part and if that gets my HW going then I will have to treat the Frig as a separate issue. I saw some good recommendations for addressing that earlier in this string...THANKS EVERYBODY!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Update: Propane problem 1/2 solved

Hello Everyone:
Just and update to let you know that my problem apparently was not ONE.
I drilled into the HW Heater and discovered that one of the solenoids was shot on the gas valve. Took me awhile to get a replacement shipped from CA but when I replaced it she fired right up!
So...my Frig not wanting to fire on propane is a separate issue and I will need to start doing homework on that.
Meanwhile, while I was trying to test the hot water system and wanted to be sure the tank was full I ran into another mystery. I have poured over this '84 AS 34' Limited and I'll be darned if I can find the city water hookup. Yes, I have looked in the roadside bumper.
Also discovered that I cannot find the shutoff valve to turn off the water flow to the roadside hose for cleaning up. Whenever I turn on the pump I just start emptying my fresh water tank through the hose.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Tom
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Good to hear you made some progress. Feels good dunnit?

if you have the book that includes how to service your refer, look up the cleaning part. They tend to get sooted up with age, perhaps it only needs a good cleaning..?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #27
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Tom,

With OPD valve (overfill protection device) equipped bottles, you shouldn't be able to overfill them.

When you open the valves, do it gently and slowly, as flipping them open fast will sometimes cause an OPD valve to close, thinking that there is a leak.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote