Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Larkspur , California
Newbie question re. refill of propane tank

Must the tanks be removed from trailer to refill? Seems I could save a lot of trouble by leaving tanks in place and pulling up to refill station?..Please advise..Thanks!

Johnny P
wbcci #27309
jpfromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Depends on the refill station. I have had my tanks refilled on the trailer and off. Not really a hassle to take them off, then you don't have to pull the trailer to the propane dealer. Depending on where you have them filled, ther may not be room for a truck and trailer.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfromla View Post
Must the tanks be removed from trailer to refill? Seems I could save a lot of trouble by leaving tanks in place and pulling up to refill station?..Please advise..Thanks!

Johnny P
wbcci #27309
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
It has been my experience that they will ask you to take them off as they weight the tanks as they fill them as it tells them how much they are putting in.
Hope this helped

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some stations fill without scales. The bleed until liquid propane comes out the bleed hole and then stop filling.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would rather have the tanks off... that way I do not have to concern myself as much with potential damage done by refill operator..

Should a valve malfunction, I would rather my AS not be anywhere around it..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I would rather have the tanks off... that way I do not have to concern myself as much with potential damage done by refill operator..

Should a valve malfunction, I would rather my AS not be anywhere around it..
Ditto that! Each year before the start of our fall camping season, one of my two propane tanks is empty and I remove it and place it in our truck, along with any other smaller propane tanks used for cooking, and haul them to our favorite U-Haul dealership for refilling. I would never want to pull our trailer into a lot for refilling propane tanks.

I have the same feeling about gas stations. Fortunately, we are content in camping in San Diego County, where we have beach, mountain and desert camping options year round. So I refill the truck's diesel tank prior to each trip and have only had to stop once while hauling a trailer at a gas station in the past 8 seasons of camping.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Some stations fill without scales. The bleed until liquid propane comes out the bleed hole and then stop filling.
True, but then they charge you for a full tank even though it may have been half full.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pay by weight or volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
True, but then they charge you for a full tank even though it may have been half full.
The most convenient fueling - at my home campground:
  • remove the tank(s) and place them in front of the trailer
  • go to the office and get a tag/authorize credit card use
  • go shopping, take a nap, enjoy life as usual
  • If I'm at the trailer when the filled tanks are delivered the work camper usually offers to mount them for me, if not I put full tanks back on the airstream/grill/etc.
They don't use a scale but do charge by volume (cubic foot I believe) so it's quite convenient to have even partly empty tanks filled prior to taking a trip.

Paula
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If your propane refiller is still using the screwdriver/bleed valve method on newer tanks they haven't been properly trained. All newer tanks, the ones with the three sided knob, are auto shutoff when full. This OPD (Overfill Protection Device) valve was made a law in 2002 for all tanks 40lb down to 4lb.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If you have a built-in ASME tank, such as on an Airstream Interstate, that's the only way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
They should be metering the flow rate, and charging you by the gallon. Again, that's what they do with ASME tanks. If they're not filling by weight and not charging by the gallon either, then report them to whichever state agency licenses propane dispensers in your state, because they're in voilation of state regulations and could lose their license to sell propane.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, not quite. The OPD valves are to prevent home-fillers from overfilling a cylinder. However, if you look at the big book on propane (NFPA 58) that states use to set up their laws, you'll discover that professional fillers are not supposed to be relying on OPD valves as a means to determine full. And for good reason: Unlike professional filling stations, which are inspected, an OPD valve is never inspected again after original installation.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
If your propane refiller is still using the screwdriver/bleed valve method on newer tanks they haven't been properly trained. All newer tanks, the ones with the three sided knob, are auto shutoff when full. This OPD (Overfill Protection Device) valve was made a law in 2002 for all tanks 40lb down to 4lb.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have only had to pay for propane on a flat rate for the tank once ... in a mountain town in NM. We usually buy our propane at home ... it is metered and charged by the gallon, which I prefer. Then I know I am paying for what I am actually getting.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, I think I got rooked by that once, too. Paid 30 bucks for my stupidity for not asking first. Oh, well, if that was my last error in judgment, then I sure don't have much longer to live.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have only had to pay for propane on a flat rate for the tank once ... in a mountain town in NM. We usually buy our propane at home ... it is metered and charged by the gallon, which I prefer. Then I know I am paying for what I am actually getting.