Old 08-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Newbie Question About My Hot Water Tank

I have a electronic pilot light 6 gal Attwood hot water tank that runs on electric, gas or both. Can it be run without the propane being hooked up? I left my tanks at home this trip because I noticed that two of the welds on the tank holder had broken. So I just left the tanks off until I could fix the welds. I thought I could just run the the hot water tank on electric for this trip. However the hot water tank will not come on. Is this because the propane is not hooked up or do I have another problem?

ttbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
120 volt part of the water heater should work without LP connected. They are independent of each other.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Insure there is not a blown fuse or tripped breaker. Verify there is 120v to the heater element. Verify the heating element has resistance but is not open.

Some troubleshooting may lead to a cause and solution. Good luck and be careful.

dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There are 2 limiting switches attached to the water heater on the electric side. High temp to turn it off and low to turn it on as needed. If these are non-functional the unit will not work on the electric side. They are not expensive and relatively easy to install. Check around on U-tube there are videos showing the job. On our 30'er it was a bit of a challenge but only do to large hands in confined spaces. But still doable and cured my non working unit. So if your power supply is OK look here.

They are available from Out of Doors Mart and others
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote