Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Newbie & A LEAK?

I am new to AS with a 2006 19" Bambi. I have it in driveway plugged in and propane on as I fuzz around. This AM I went to to start changing my lights to LED. I smelled something, but since I have very bad Sinus issues, I dismissed it thinking I would check it out tomorrow. I changed one set of lights, and had the radio on for company. I did not turn heat on (whcih has worked fine since I brought the AS home in early December). I finshed lights, and went to work. My daughter went out, heard radio, went in to turn it off and smelled strong gas smell. She called my husband out who agreed and he turned the bottles off. So.....what is that? What do I do....Why didn't the propane detecter go off. This is really scarey for me, as gas is just a tad dangerous. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. I think what bothers me the most is my sinus didn't work well enough for me to understand it was a propane smell. I am not too handy, especially when gas is involved. Thank you in advance. The door is open now to air out the AS. sbb

Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You should check the batteries to, a few have mistaken the smell of batteries boiling/dying for propane.

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Battery's can smell horrible. They smell more like rotten eggs. If you have a stove, maybe it's your pilot light was on and not lit. Just a thought. Don't worry to much. As you learn more about your rig and how it works, you'll be a pro in no time. Things come and go the more you use it. All normal. Educate yourself and enjoy. I will say one thing. Joining a locale unit of the WBCCI in your area can be a wealth of information and people who share a love of airstreaming and are close by and willing to help.
Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher Johnson McCandless
2/12/68 - 8/18/92
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We should all carry a small, spray bottle of soapy water (dilute dishwashing soap) to check our propane connections. No reason to get rattled, just do the following:
1. Open both propane tanks all the way (some propane valves only seat when they are all the open or all the way closed. Never open half way)
2. Make sure your selector switch is all the way to one tank or the other (some selector switches leak in the middle position)
3. Now, check all the connections with soapy water. Tighten if necessary.
4. On a 2006, I don't believe you have any pilot lights, but if you do, you must either light them or turn them off. Otherwise, they will "leak" propane.
5. On my older Airstreams, I just turned the pilot on the stove top off and used a butane lighter for this very reason.
Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote