Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
New Valves & Refilling 30# Aluminum Tanks

Perhaps some Canadian owners of Airstreams can reply with pertinent information and or advice.

We own a 74 31' Sovereign with 30# Propane Tanks. This coach has been in Manitoba (Canada) many years, although we've only owned it 2 years.

I have been told by a Winnipeg Propane Company that they cannot install new valves or refill our tanks because the tanks do not have TC (for Transport Canada) stamped in the collar of the tanks. DOT is stamped but not TC.

Perhaps Andy @ Inland wil read this and respond. If you are monitoring Andy - thanks for assistance regarding my recent "lock out" on the A/S. It worked and very much appreciated.

We're attempting to keep everything original as much as possible and the suggestion that we have to "buy" new tanks didn't catch my fancy!!

Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairnchyz View Post
Perhaps some Canadian owners of Airstreams can reply with pertinent information and or advice.

We own a 74 31' Sovereign with 30# Propane Tanks. This coach has been in Manitoba (Canada) many years, although we've only owned it 2 years.

I have been told by a Winnipeg Propane Company that they cannot install new valves or refill our tanks because the tanks do not have TC (for Transport Canada) stamped in the collar of the tanks. DOT is stamped but not TC.

Perhaps Andy @ Inland wil read this and respond. If you are monitoring Andy - thanks for assistance regarding my recent "lock out" on the A/S. It worked and very much appreciated.

We're attempting to keep everything original as much as possible and the suggestion that we have to "buy" new tanks didn't catch my fancy!!

Bob
I have no idea about the "TC", but I will see what I can find out, and let you know.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Fill tubes are different length for aluminum tanks than steel. Most LP dealers would not be familiar with vertical mount aluminum tanks. For Canadians dealing with all-things-Airstream I might suggest calling and talking to the folks at Can-Am RV in London, Ontario.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Harbor Freight sells stamping sets really cheap.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Bob, I'd suggest that you give the Propane Gas Association of Canada a call:

PGAC - Propane Gas Association of Canada Dynamic Links
Propane Gas Association of Canada Inc. - All About Propane: Contact Information

If they don't have info that you can use, perhaps they can direct you to an appropriate source of info.

Lynn
Old 04-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.... It can be done and has been done in Canada... good friends of our had theirs done in Ontario...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I had my aluminum tank valves changed in the U.S. while on a trip. It's much easier then using the Canadian rules. They were done in a few minitues, where in Canada they had to be sent away for changing. They are up to date and can be filled anywhere.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Could be that the send-away part of changing out the valves was because that facility wasn't licensed to do it. (I did the same with some elderly guests here: I couldn't fill their one cylinder because it was out of date. I loaded it into our truck, took it down to Taos, had valve installed at the right place, also had it recertified, and brought the cylinder back home to them. All was good.)

Lynn
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.. Our friends had theirs done and they were able to be done at one of the local propane companies
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Thanks all,
Lynn - as per your suggestion I sent off an email to Propane Gas Association of Canada Inc. - All About Propane: Contact Information this morning and hopefully they can explain things for us.
Steve H. - your Harbour Freight idea is right on. My luck I'd smash a thumb or finger in the process!!
The A/S Forum just has to be the greatest place to get answers and suggestions and also a good past time when idle.
Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
Following Lynn's advice I emailed the Propance Gas Association of Canada Inc.
Below is the reply I received back from a W. A. (Bill) Egbert.
I cannot see any Americans or Canadians having 4 Aluminum Propane Tanks on board whenever they decide to cross the American/Canadian Border and swapping the appropriately stamped tanks at the border crossing to comply with regulations. Possibly Airstream could provide us with a sticker or something we could attach to our tanks so we would be in compliane on either side of the border.
Possibly Andy @ Inland can shed some light on this situation.
Who knows, SteveH may be right on with his suggestion about Harbour Freight's supply of "tools"!!
Canoe Stream - I did email Can AM RV in London, ON. but have not heard back yet.
Does anyone know if new coaches that are being shipped up to Canada for sale have the CT - CTC stamp affixed to the propane tanks?
Bob

Hello Mr. Nairn

Thank you for your inquiry. It sounds like your refurbishing project will result in a great RV for you!

The information you received regarding your aluminum DOT cylinders is correct. Transport Canada only allows propane to be transported in cylinders built to certain specification. Cylinders marked with TC or CTC are acceptable for use in Canada, while cylinders manufactured to United States Department of Transport (DOT) are not authorized for filling or use in Canada. A similar ruling exists in the United States. Cylinders manufactured in Canada bearing the stamp CTC or TC cannot be filled or used in the United States.

In practice DOT cylinders are often filled in Canada by mistake, however, this practice is against the law.

Your only option at this point is to replace the cylinders with cylinders manufactured in Canada to Transport Canada standards. All cylinders must be requalified every 10 years, so if you purchase new ones, they will be good to go for 10 years. If you are planning on travelling into the US, you may want to keep the DOT cylinders so that you can use those when you are there. I would recommend you get those checked out by a propane dealer in the United States as DOT cylinders must be requalified every 12 years in the USA. Just remember that you cannot store the cylinders inside the RV, so you may need to load up the empty DOT cylinders before your trip into the US and leave the TC cylinder at home.

I hope this helps clarifies your options.

W. A. (Bill) Egbert
General Manager - Propane•Training•Institute
a division of the Propane Gas Association of Canada
#800, 717 - 7th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0Z3

Phone: (403) 543-6506
Cell: (403) 471-3539
Fax: (403) 543-6508
Toll-free 1-877-784-4636
E-Mail: begbert@propanegas.ca
Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, boy, that really stinks. Cylinders are hardly cheap items, especially aluminum ones.

Lynn
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think the statement from the Canadian propane gas ass'n only applies to aluminum tanks. I was getting ready to cancel our trip to Canada until I looked at our tanks. They have DOT and TC numbers and the sticker is in Canadian English (for ex., "propane odour") and French, so it looks like these tanks come from Canada.

So if the valves on ours work in both countries, why would there be a problem with older tanks with new valves? Perhaps you should check with the provincial or national gov't about this.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
sounds like a border war thing to me. i bet they're the same tanks, lol.

i guess everyone that crosses the border will need to carry one of each tank?

there should be tank exchange stations at the border
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I do remember getting a steel tank filled last summer while on our Alaska trip in British Columbia. The person that filled it didn't even look at the tank, but he wasn't at all bashful taking the $34 to fill a 20 pound tank.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
tanks at the border

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I was getting ready to cancel our trip to Canada until I looked at our tanks. Gene
I don't know off hand what designations are stamped on our tanks, but we bought them through Vintage Trailer Supply. We've crossed the border dozens of times with our trailer and have never had anyone look at the propane tanks or ask about them. I've had them filled here in Canada and they were not questioned.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, Nairnchyz. I just bought a '74 Sovereign too, and when I get around to having the tanks updated I'll have them done in the US if they won't do it here - or where ever it's cheaper.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
You know, thinking about it, if somebody with Canadian certified cylinders came in here wanting propane, I'd fill them with the following standard provisos:

1. The cylinders are in good condition (standard practice);

2. They're within the US-based certification range (actually longer than the Canadian);

3. They have the appropriate weight indications on the collar (I assume that Canadians mark this, too);

4. They have OPD valves (I assume the Canadians adopted these as well.)

Lynn
Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
eubank

I can only wish that I could visit New Mexico and deal with you.

Here is the situation with our tanks; and it would appear I could not meet your provisos.

1) The tanks appear to be in good condition (no dents, gouges, etc, and the collar is solidly mounted to protect the valve.

2) They are outside the certification range. ( the PO obviously dealt with a company that never checked dates - just made a sale)

3) They do have appropriate weight indications on the collar (TW, WC, DT, DATE). You need to remember that these tanks were stamped in the USA when the A/S was manufactured in 1974.

4) The tanks do not have OPD valves.

Last week what I attempted to have done was get the OPD valves replaced, and have the tanks refilled. Before I drove 4 1/2 hours to the company I telephoned first and was asked if TC was stamped in the collar. When I called the company back and said no there was no TC stamp I was then told that they would not service the tanks.

So, what's hanging me up is the obvious fact that our tanks do not have the TC stamp which prevents us from getting OPD valves and new certification range (and of course in the end - propane).

Will a person have to cruise the countryside seeking out a company that doesn't check dates, etc?

Bob
Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
DavidsonOverlander,

It's not all that far for us to drive down to North Dakota and get the OPD valves, etc, installed, but according to the propane company I talked to in Winnipeg as well as the information received from the Canadian Propane Association, it all sounds like a Canadian refiller cannot service the tanks without having the TC stamp. Unless of course they are not looking at stamps when refilling.

Bob
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ok, so the cylinders need recertifiction and OPDs, and they have US markings. I guess the best would be to get them done stateside.

As long as the cylinders are in good shape, it shouldn't be very difficult. Basically, you'll probably get a visual recertification, and the inspector will stamp into the collar the letter "E" (think "Eye") followed by a new month/year date. Visual recertification is good for five years (and can be repeated).

Lynn