Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
New regulator- won't fit old bracket

The old regulator on my Argosy has a bracket with 2 holes. My new regulator has 4 holes, is about half the size. The bracket also holds the propane tanks in the tank holder on the tongue. Anyone here have this prob? How did you solve it?
Thank you,

Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Blue Springs , Missouri
I'm in the same boat. just installed a new regulator yesterday.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
I'm thinking I will have to fabricate a bracket which attaches the new regulator to the old bracket. With all I have on my plate for this Argosy, that's one more item I didn't plan for. Oh well, it's just a hobby!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
The old regulator on my Argosy has a bracket with 2 holes. My new regulator has 4 holes, is about half the size. The bracket also holds the propane tanks in the tank holder on the tongue. Anyone here have this prob? How did you solve it?
Thank you,
How about some photos? The old regulator, the bracket, and the new regulator. It's really hard to tell what you had and now have.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
I just faced this same problem. The original cast tank holder/regulator bracket was made to hold the original Reg-O 7519 regulator which has threaded holes in it that line up with the bracket. BTW I looked into getting this regulator rebuilt and coundn't find any resources for that.

I did not want to change out the bracket because I like the old cast aluminum one. The new Regulator (Marshall 250 series) has 4 holes in a pattern that I think may be the new standard.

I made an adapter out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate. I drilled two large holes with countersunk edges in the plate to line up with the holes in the old bracket on the side that faces the regulator for two stainless screws that would go to the bracket. I then drilled four countersunk holes in the pattern of the regulator holes for four stainless screws to hold the adapter to the regulator. I used a small drafters compass to lay out the hole pattern on the adapter plate.

My regulator holes were not threaded, but the metal is soft. I bought one self tapping steel screw in the same thread as the stainless screws and used it to "tap" the regulator holes.

I placed the larger stainless screws through the holes in the adapter so they were protruding away from the regulator toward the tank bracket and then screwed the adapter to the regulator with the four smaller stainless screws. I the put the larger screws through the tank hold down bracket and secured them with lock nuts.

I'll post some photos soon.

One may be successful with some stainless pipe clamps for a quicker fix.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Stainless hose clamps. My thoughts too!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-190407284.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	162032

Name:	image-3465010707.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	162033

Name:	image-2023086062.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	162034

Most machine shops would make this for you for a nominal fee.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
I just faced this same problem. The original cast tank holder/regulator bracket was made to hold the original Reg-O 7519 regulator which has threaded holes in it that line up with the bracket. BTW I looked into getting this regulator rebuilt and coundn't find any resources for that.

I did not want to change out the bracket because I like the old cast aluminum one. The new Regulator (Marshall 250 series) has 4 holes in a pattern that I think may be the new standard.

I made an adapter out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate. I drilled two large holes with countersunk edges in the plate to line up with the holes in the old bracket on the side that faces the regulator for two stainless screws that would go to the bracket. I then drilled four countersunk holes in the pattern of the regulator holes for four stainless screws to hold the adapter to the regulator. I used a small drafters compass to lay out the hole pattern on the adapter plate.

My regulator holes were not threaded, but the metal is soft. I bought one self tapping steel screw in the same thread as the stainless screws and used it to "tap" the regulator holes.

I placed the larger stainless screws through the holes in the adapter so they were protruding away from the regulator toward the tank bracket and then screwed the adapter to the regulator with the four smaller stainless screws. I the put the larger screws through the tank hold down bracket and secured them with lock nuts.

I'll post some photos soon.

One may be successful with some stainless pipe clamps for a quicker fix.
Does Rego make a regulator that is similar to the 7519? They certainly look heavy duty and I have one from 1969 that probably needs replacing.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
This is there current Auto Changeover is nothing like the one from the 1960's. If anyone has info about rebuilding, that would be great. i know others have strongly discouraged it. Gas regulators are rebuilt all the time so this one shouldn't be any different. The only issue, I think, will be replacing the red indicator. Building the bracket was the path of least resistance for me. The Marshall reg is only $40, so it is almost a disposable part at that price. I'll keep a spare in the toolbox.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Bunkroom, thanks for the pics!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
This is there current Auto Changeover is nothing like the one from the 1960's. If anyone has info about rebuilding, that would be great. i know others have strongly discouraged it. Gas regulators are rebuilt all the time so this one shouldn't be any different. The only issue, I think, will be replacing the red indicator. Building the bracket was the path of least resistance for me. The Marshall reg is only $40, so it is almost a disposable part at that price. I'll keep a spare in the toolbox.
With the poor life of these units, having a spare is a good idea.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I would have never thought to keep a spare of my original Rego regulator. It was heavy duty.