Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
New regulator- won't fit old bracket

The old regulator on my Argosy has a bracket with 2 holes. My new regulator has 4 holes, is about half the size. The bracket also holds the propane tanks in the tank holder on the tongue. Anyone here have this prob? How did you solve it?
Thank you,
__________________

__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Blue Springs , Missouri
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
I'm in the same boat. just installed a new regulator yesterday.
__________________

__________________
rockcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
I'm thinking I will have to fabricate a bracket which attaches the new regulator to the old bracket. With all I have on my plate for this Argosy, that's one more item I didn't plan for. Oh well, it's just a hobby!
__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
vswingfield's Avatar
 
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,773
Images: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
The old regulator on my Argosy has a bracket with 2 holes. My new regulator has 4 holes, is about half the size. The bracket also holds the propane tanks in the tank holder on the tongue. Anyone here have this prob? How did you solve it?
Thank you,
How about some photos? The old regulator, the bracket, and the new regulator. It's really hard to tell what you had and now have.
__________________
Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
I just faced this same problem. The original cast tank holder/regulator bracket was made to hold the original Reg-O 7519 regulator which has threaded holes in it that line up with the bracket. BTW I looked into getting this regulator rebuilt and coundn't find any resources for that.

I did not want to change out the bracket because I like the old cast aluminum one. The new Regulator (Marshall 250 series) has 4 holes in a pattern that I think may be the new standard.

I made an adapter out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate. I drilled two large holes with countersunk edges in the plate to line up with the holes in the old bracket on the side that faces the regulator for two stainless screws that would go to the bracket. I then drilled four countersunk holes in the pattern of the regulator holes for four stainless screws to hold the adapter to the regulator. I used a small drafters compass to lay out the hole pattern on the adapter plate.

My regulator holes were not threaded, but the metal is soft. I bought one self tapping steel screw in the same thread as the stainless screws and used it to "tap" the regulator holes.

I placed the larger stainless screws through the holes in the adapter so they were protruding away from the regulator toward the tank bracket and then screwed the adapter to the regulator with the four smaller stainless screws. I the put the larger screws through the tank hold down bracket and secured them with lock nuts.

I'll post some photos soon.

One may be successful with some stainless pipe clamps for a quicker fix.
__________________
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
Stainless hose clamps. My thoughts too!
__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-190407284.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	162032



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3465010707.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	162033



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2023086062.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	162034

Most machine shops would make this for you for a nominal fee.
__________________
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
I just faced this same problem. The original cast tank holder/regulator bracket was made to hold the original Reg-O 7519 regulator which has threaded holes in it that line up with the bracket. BTW I looked into getting this regulator rebuilt and coundn't find any resources for that.

I did not want to change out the bracket because I like the old cast aluminum one. The new Regulator (Marshall 250 series) has 4 holes in a pattern that I think may be the new standard.

I made an adapter out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate. I drilled two large holes with countersunk edges in the plate to line up with the holes in the old bracket on the side that faces the regulator for two stainless screws that would go to the bracket. I then drilled four countersunk holes in the pattern of the regulator holes for four stainless screws to hold the adapter to the regulator. I used a small drafters compass to lay out the hole pattern on the adapter plate.

My regulator holes were not threaded, but the metal is soft. I bought one self tapping steel screw in the same thread as the stainless screws and used it to "tap" the regulator holes.

I placed the larger stainless screws through the holes in the adapter so they were protruding away from the regulator toward the tank bracket and then screwed the adapter to the regulator with the four smaller stainless screws. I the put the larger screws through the tank hold down bracket and secured them with lock nuts.

I'll post some photos soon.

One may be successful with some stainless pipe clamps for a quicker fix.
Does Rego make a regulator that is similar to the 7519? They certainly look heavy duty and I have one from 1969 that probably needs replacing.
__________________
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
This is there current Auto Changeover is nothing like the one from the 1960's. If anyone has info about rebuilding, that would be great. i know others have strongly discouraged it. Gas regulators are rebuilt all the time so this one shouldn't be any different. The only issue, I think, will be replacing the red indicator. Building the bracket was the path of least resistance for me. The Marshall reg is only $40, so it is almost a disposable part at that price. I'll keep a spare in the toolbox.
__________________
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
Bunkroom, thanks for the pics!
__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
jimmickle's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 497
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
This is there current Auto Changeover is nothing like the one from the 1960's. If anyone has info about rebuilding, that would be great. i know others have strongly discouraged it. Gas regulators are rebuilt all the time so this one shouldn't be any different. The only issue, I think, will be replacing the red indicator. Building the bracket was the path of least resistance for me. The Marshall reg is only $40, so it is almost a disposable part at that price. I'll keep a spare in the toolbox.
With the poor life of these units, having a spare is a good idea.
__________________
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 470
I would have never thought to keep a spare of my original Rego regulator. It was heavy duty.
__________________

__________________
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.