Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
New regulator and ss hoses

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, but I just changed out my 40 year old hoses and regulator after smelling LP gas at the tanks. The pigtails had many cracks.

In keeping with the shiny Airstream look, I opted for stainless overbraid pigtails. The only place I could find them was at Vintage Trailer Supply, and they had to special order the 36" length from their supplier (thanks Vintage!!). I also bought a new auto-changeover regulator from them.

I wanted the new setup to fit under the original plastic cover, thus I also needed to use 90 degree elbows at the inlets so the pigtails would come up from below as per the originals. I went to the local propane shop and they said there were no 90 degree inverted flare fittings, so they installed some regular elbows and added the flare fittings below. This made the assembly too wide for the plastic cover, so I offset the regulator to the right and the inboard pigtail sticks out of the cover. It's not noticeable from the usual viewing angle.

I got rid of the copper tubing snake that came down from the outlet, and replaced it with a 36 inch black rubber hose. In order to avoid chafing at the A-frame, I covered the hose with a 3/4 inch plastic loom. Looks far better than the original, and it all works great. Maybe my tanks won't need refilling as often now, lol.

Happy camping,
Gary
Chase BC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Pigtails.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	264142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	264143  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet Hose.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	264144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose to Copper Connection.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	264145  

4slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
Love it.

I just replaced my regulator and hosed as well. On my '73 Tradewind. Question. My regulator was mounted to the bar that secures the propane tanks. Yours is mounted directly to the body. I like that idea. Where did you get the grey cover that hides the regulator?

oh! and do you cover your tanks? It looks like the braided lines would get in the way of a traditional cover.

Thanks!

John
Leadvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
Replacement ss pigtails and regulator

The original Fisher regulator was factory mounted to the front wall, and came with the plastic hinged cover. It had a little round window that was visible through the hole in the cover. The window would show a red bar if the tanks were empty. The original regulator was much larger than the new one.

The tanks aren't covered, so I wanted to have the ss braid to add some bling. One day, maybe when I retire, I'll tackle a polish job on the trailer and tanks. I think polished tanks look great. The new setup helped clean up the cluttered look, so I'm quite pleased with it.
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote