Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
New propane campfire - fire pit

I have just started a new project and thought you might like to see.

The history on this is that in the past we have really enjoyed campfires at our site (usually Disney's Ft. Wilderness) however Last time we went camping our friends borrowed our fire pit. So after many hours shopping we found a unit we liked at lowes that used a 20lbs propane tank( the misses really liked this as there is virtually no smoke). This unit was made of what the manufacture called "in organic material". After the second night of use the outer ring began cracking so we returned it.

I looked high and low and could not find one that we liked so I decided to build my own. I used 14ga 304 stainless and built a stand. I have ordered a 24" stainless burner that is rated at 150k Btu with a regulator and Venturi in addition to all the hardware needed to make flames. I will also be adding white and light blue fire glass to add an appealing look to the unit.

The stainless is being sanded by hand to create the milled effect found on the stream and will be given a good coat of Sheila shine weekly.

I intend on using a 20lbs tank to run this and will likely only use it on a low setting as it will otherwise be to hot to sit around.

Any input you might have would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2235171808.png
Views:	223
Size:	935.5 KB
ID:	147981  
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Looks interesting. Would be interested to hear how it works out. I am not sure what you are going to be doing woth the glass though.

Keep us posted and thanks for sharing.
10Smiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Did you consider "Campfire-In-a-Can"? Just curious what you may have thought about it. Previous posts have been positive about it.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
The glass will be placed in the top of the unit just like the attached picture minus the black surround.

I did not consider the campfire in a can due to not knowing about it and I certainly would have tried it however I have already spent money toward this so I will need to use it or the misses will be mad and I might have to sleep beside this at night to keep me warm. Lol. A second factor would be 64k btu vs 150k btu.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-326865830.png
Views:	149
Size:	943.6 KB
ID:	148001  
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
TTY because I need to know if I am making any mistakes that might cause me to loose my eyebrows.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The glass will be beautiful; 154K btu should produce quite a flame!

Look forward to pictures when complete.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Realistically, I don't think the BTUs really make that much of a difference. If you think you're going to warm up by a propane fire, you're going to be disappointed. The BTUs you're talking about will shoot a flame at least 6' into the air. When you adjust down to make it safe and realistic looking you will get very little warmth out of it except on very calm evenings.

My Campfire-In-a-Can will shoot a flame 6' up too. (can't remember BTUs.)

These are all for visual effect only.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
Realistically, I don't think the BTUs really make that much of a difference. If you think you're going to warm up by a propane fire, you're going to be disappointed. The BTUs you're talking about will shoot a flame at least 6' into the air. When you adjust down to make it safe and realistic looking you will get very little warmth out of it except on very calm evenings.

My Campfire-In-a-Can will shoot a flame 6' up too. (can't remember BTUs.)

These are all for visual effect only.
So if I am understanding this correctly propane does not create a lot of heat? Should I consider some other alternative to this?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
So if I am understanding this correctly propane does not create a lot of heat? Should I consider some other alternative to this?
No, not necessarily. Propane and natural gas fires get their radiant heat by heating up ceramic logs. They just don't radiate heat like natural coals from a wood fire.
It's been my experience that the propane campfires heat up their "logs" (or whatever) very little and you're relying soley on the flame heat, which dissapates very quickly into the air.

If it is a calm evening you'll get some warmth if you crowd close to the flame. If it's breezy, not so much, unless you face into the gas exhaust.

These are more for effect than warmth. We like them on evenings with short stay time, raining, etc. You can safely sit with them between the chairs under the awning.

Just don't expect too much.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We do a bunch of camping in cold weather up here in Michigan and use a 3 burner propane heater that really does the job. Doesn't look very good but after a few glasses of wine we don't care.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0230.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	148182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0231.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	148183  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
We do a bunch of camping in cold weather up here in Michigan and use a 3 burner propane heater that really does the job. Doesn't look very good but after a few glasses of wine we don't care.
OK, that's a heater though. We're just talking about a lazy yellow flame that looks a little like a natural fire. I'd bet you get some pretty good heat out of that unit.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g

OK, that's a heater though. We're just talking about a lazy yellow flame that looks a little like a natural fire. I'd bet you get some pretty good heat out of that unit.
Well I completely understand your points however for my sake I hope you are wrong. Otherwise I will have a very expensive lawn ornament. Lol

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Well I completely understand your points however for my sake I hope you are wrong. Otherwise I will have a very expensive lawn ornament. Lol

Thanks again!
Is the Missus looking for the heat output of a wood campfire...is that what you're saying?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Yes she is minus the smoke that usually comes with it. She loves camping but hates to smell like a camp fire.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Yes she is minus the smoke that usually comes with it. She loves camping but hates to smell like a camp fire.
I think you may need to find some REAL residential ceramic logs to fit your design. The hokey foamlike ones in my campfire in a can just don't get hot and radiate like the ceramic ones at home.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
So I have fired it up( pun intended) I am still missing the Venturi for the gas air mixture. I will include a video however I am happy with it so far. When turned up it emits a tremendous amount of heat however when using it normally it does ok. It may do better after the metal vessel and glass heat up.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
I built one too

for my deck at my house several years ago. Yours looks better, honestly, nice job. Mine runs on natural gas. Able to put out a lot of heat, but without something to radiate the heat thru (brick, log, metal) you wont get much heat return off of it for a cozy feel. Really pretty, though. Popular in the winter. But again, if you are looking for heat and comfort - get something to actually retain the heat.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Here's a link to a very simple form of using thermal mass - in a primative ceramic heater to squeeze a remarkable amount of heat out of a single candle.

RV News Magazine | The Voice of the RV Industry

there are a couple of other threads that show homemade versions of this heater, and of course up until central heating became common, it was quite usual to put hot bricks or ceramic water bottles to heat your feet in a cold bedroom. Even canopy beds were originally made to create a mini-room within a bedroom, so that the occupants of the bed could be warmed by their own body heat not being allowed to dissipate into the room ... of course eating beans could make the enclosed area more than "just warm".

I even remember a tale or two from oldtimers who claimed they could heat an Airstream by turning on a couple of burners (on low) and inverting flower pots over them. Carbon Monoxide poisoning makes that sound just stupid... but perhaps if the fan vent were left open? (still stupid )

You might play with some terra cotta pots hung over the fire pit, both to diffuse the heat and to store it then give it up even after the fire is turned off. If that has a good effect, then you could start spending cash on ceramic logs.

Of course you could use some cast iron dutch ovens on the fire pit - cooking and warming the area too.

Paula