Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Rock Hill , South Carolina
New Owner need grey haired advice.

We just bought our first Airstream. It's a 30" International that's been totally rebuilt in and out. Looks great but it was used as an extra bedroom and was plumbed to the sewer. It has no clear or black water tanks so that's going to be project #1 & 2.

Can anyone suggest a total replacement kit mfr. that will allow me to follow the step by step directions and install the black water tank and toilet?

Thank you for your ideas and experience.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
No kits that I'm aware of. That's a major undertaking even if you aren't adding a greywater tank, which is something you should serious consider as part of the project.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
I just found out the tanks are still on the unit so that's one issue I will not have to deal with. However, a new toilet will have to be installed and connected. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's important to measure with the trailer in hand before ordering a new one since clearance and heights vary from one trailer to the next and may have been modified from stock as a result of remodeling etc.
Everyone used to use the Sealand Traveler Lite which has been discontinued. I have a Dometic 311 which is a good choice for replacements. It has a china bowl but a plastic base which isn't perhaps as stable as I might like.

Dometic 310/311 Toilet with Hand Spray

I would suggest the wood seat, an optional upgrade.

There are plenty of other choices.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
popacliff,

Can't help with your post but why not at least drive the few miles down to Wateree SP March 29th and hang out with the Alumalina gang. Looks like we'll have over 50 units at the park.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...-a-111542.html

Sandlapper is the cat herder for the event.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the feedback, all of it will be used to some degree. No doubt I'll have more questions (many more) as time goes by. If trailering is anything like boating (boat is an acronym for break out another thousand), you never stop looking for ways to change something. We don't actually have the unit yet. I need to pick it up in TX in the next couple of weeks. That's when the serious questions will begin.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The fresh water tank sits on top of the floor in front of the trailer, under the couch. Even if it's not there, it should be an easy thing to plumb in some kind of tank.
Black water tank should be relatively easy, depending on the surgery used to install a household toilet. Hopefully, simply installing a new toilet and dump valve will take care of that.
Grey tank placement will be the challenge. A redneck method would be to run a series of PVC pipes back and forth two or three times in the rear bumper compartment, and put a dump valve on one end, and the inlet for the grey water on the other.