Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
New LP lines

I hate the thought of running my new LP gas lines under the trailer. Theres lots of room in between the cross members, in the belly sort of speaking. Has anybody done this. I believe that all new coaches run this way.. Thats also where I want to run my p.e.x. It would be the lowest part of the trailer for a drain. Weatherization would be a snap. Installation of a drain valve in the battery compartment? hot and cold water and LP and gray water drain all in the battery compartment??? I get some wicked ideas sometimes haha. O Im going to use my fresh water tank for gray water and put a new fresh water tank somewhere else, maybe the back of the truck? I live in the N.W. so freezing is not a problem most of the year. When it does freeze I can drain the whole system easly. Any Input would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 210.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	178822  

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Propane would pool in the frame area in the case of a leak. Dangerous. That is why they are routed below the belly pan. Not recommended.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Water lines...

The water lines were inside the trailers to keep the lines from freezing in colder weather. The cabin of the trailer is usually heated when used in colder weather preventing lines from freezing and bursting. All damage to copper lines that swell or burst are due to freezing. Even converting to Pex I would not take the chance of re-routing those lines to an unheated space. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
LP lines should always be under the coach skin due to the possibility of leakage from fittings. I have seen some new coaches use black steal pipe on the underside for strength and protection from rocks etc. I ran flexible copper on the bottom and have not had an issue. however you can cover the copper by sliding a length of rubber hose over the copper during installation to protect it later from rocks and things that go bump in the night.
As you know water will freeze when not protected from the cold. So water storage and lines under the floor should have a heat source and insulation.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Elkton , Maryland
I am running new lines also. Can anyone tell me where the manifold connects under the trailer. I guess another way to put it is where does the main lp line end (3/4 copper)and the feeder lines run off to the applinaces. Is it above the Axles? Also is there a reason they run down the middle of the trailer instead of under one of the frame rails?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
My main line runs on the street side, then there are T's to the refer, heater, stove, and water heater. They each have a cutoff valve. It all runs outside the belly pan.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Elkton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
My main line runs on the street side, then there are T's to the refer, heater, stove, and water heater. They each have a cutoff valve. It all runs outside the belly pan.
Do the lines run along the frame? or just down the middle or off centre of the belly? What I have left of my original line is a collection of 3/4 to 3/8s T's all attached together about 2 feet long. Each of the T's presumably runs off to an appliance. I am wondering where to mount this collection. then I will run a main line to it and my supplies off to the appliances. For efficiency of running lines it looks like mounting it on the bottom of the water holding tank would be best but then if you had to access the holing tank you would have to dismantle the lp lines.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Keep the LP lines on the outside, even the 2013 model Airstreams have the LP lines outside of the bellypan.

Damon
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
The main line runs from the tanks, follows the a-frame, then in a line with the A-frame where the body attaches, runs in a straight line to the refer, mid trailer, street side. Then the small lines run, one accross to the curb side where the cutoffs and t's for the stove and heater, the other line runs from the large line strait back to the water heater, also street side. The lines are below and outside the belly pan, and are attached by clamps with rubber lining, riveted to the belly pan, not the frame.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Elkton , Maryland
Quote:
The main line runs from the tanks, follows the a-frame, then in a line with the A-frame where the body attaches, runs in a straight line to the refer, mid trailer, street side. Then the small lines run, one accross to the curb side where the cutoffs and t's for the stove and heater, the other line runs from the large line strait back to the water heater, also street side. The lines are below and outside the belly pan, and are attached by clamps with rubber lining, riveted to the belly pan, not the frame.
so it sounds like your lines do branch under your water tank?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
The Argosy came with the fresh water tank in front above the wood floor, and under the goucho. Mine has the living area cleared of all furniture, and I have moved the freshwater tank under the curb side bed middle of trailer, to even out weight.
Is your fresh water tank up front under the floor? If so, I guess your propane line would go under it but outside the belly pan.Check with someone with an Overlander like yours.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Elkton , Maryland
Quote:
The Argosy came with the fresh water tank in front above the wood floor, and under the goucho. Mine has the living area cleared of all furniture, and I have moved the freshwater tank under the curb side bed middle of trailer, to even out weight.
Is your fresh water tank up front under the floor? If so, I guess your propane line would go under it but outside the belly pan.Check with someone with an Overlander like yours.
Our water tank is mid trailer.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Elkton , Maryland
Another question is the original regulator has two pigtails that go to the tanks and a larger hose that feeds the rest of the system. Any Ida were to get this larger hose? I seems like all the propane hoses I can find are the narrower type like the pig tails? or will in not matter being smaller like the pig tails?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Out of Doors Mart, always the first place to look.

LP Gas Hose 3ft 66-8758 [66-8758] - $12.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!