Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Unhappy New LP gas tank - no purge - blues

Okay, so i get my new Argosy and it has old tanks but they have gas in them. So rather than have to deal with a OPD finagle on the road I purcahsed a new tank at a RV store here. Upon asking a U-Haul store to fill it up the attendant said it only took 5 gallons. Not knowing whether or not that was good, I paid and departed on a trip. I don't think that he purged it. I used up one of the old tanks while on the trip and all of the propane stuff worked fine to that point. After switching to the new tank, the stove worked but with a lot of yellow flame and the hot water wouldn't work at all. So - i think i can hook up the other old tank that sitll has gas and everything will function again. The question is, how do I get my new tank straightened out? Thanks

Old 07-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Just take it to a propane station and they can purge it for you (just did it for my mosquito magnet).

Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
You should have told the U-Haul attendent that it was a new tank, and they would have purged it, for a small fee. Purging takes about 1 to 2 hours, to do it right. It involves filling the tank with a small amount of propane then bleeding it out and refilling about five times. Some tanks come purged with nitrogen from the factory, so they do not need propane purging.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
thanks pattyo... you think that not having used any of the 5 gallons in it will be a problem? Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Shouldn't be a problem having gas in it. I have had a few tanks purged but never went through the process the way Pick has. They've done it for me as part of the fill and never charged me. Not sure why it's different for me than Pick but he seems to know his stuff.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
my propane guy just attaches a vaccum pump to it and runs it down to zero.

5 bucks is the going fee for a purge in these parts.

i agree they should have caught it before it was filled.

john
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I will bump this as I am sure there are new members that it might benifit.
As explained in the above posts, a new tank must be evacuated before filling with propane.
The same applies if the valve has been opened to the atmosphere before filling.
I have seen questions about venting tanks before polishing.
Never vent a propane tank unless it is being discarded, as it will have to be properly prepared before it can be refilled.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post
my propane guy just attaches a vaccum pump to it and runs it down to zero.

5 bucks is the going fee for a purge in these parts.

i agree they should have caught it before it was filled.

john
Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
You should have told the U-Haul attendent that it was a new tank, and they would have purged it, for a small fee. Purging takes about 1 to 2 hours, to do it right. It involves filling the tank with a small amount of propane then bleeding it out and refilling about five times. Some tanks come purged with nitrogen from the factory, so they do not need propane purging.
I don't believe this is accurate, at least not in California, and laws pertaining to propane tanks may well be Federal in nature (I would suspect so (DOT)).

It is my understanding that prior to about 10 years ago, propane tanks were factory-filled with an inert gas for pressure testing and transportation, such as nitrogen, and that had to be purged prior to filling, otherwise a portion of the "filled" tank would be compressed nitrogen (not flammable). While normal atmospshere is nearly 80% nitrogen already, the pure nitrogen-fill would eliminate the other 20% (actually 22%), including oxygen. In other words, a 100% nitrogen-filled tank would have to be purged in order to a full tank of propane.

Today, and for the past several years, propane tanks are factory-tested under vacuum, i.e., they have negative atmospheres at the factory for testing purposes, and are transported that way. These tanks do NOT need to be purged, unless the tank valve has been opened and the tank has been allowed to fill with atmosphere.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Interesting. My tanks and trailer are new and were filled before I picked it up. Seem to work well so far (at least the first tank). I understand the "tank exchange" suppliers are to be avoided. Is that true? Of course I would rather not trade my brand new tanks for beat up used ones. What are others experiences?