Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Need smoke AND CO2 detectors?

I feel like I'm losing my mind. In my head I thought I needed three detectors in my rig... Smoke, co2 and propane. Is that right?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a ceiling mount hardwired smoke detector and I ant understand why.... Unless co2 detectors are all you really need. I understand the co2 is what kills you in a fire anyway, right?

When I look at lowes they distinctly sell both smoke and co2 detectors but on rv sites the emphasis is on just co2 and propane... Or I'm losing my mind!
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
I feel like I'm losing my mind. In my head I thought I needed three detectors in my rig... Smoke, co2 and propane. Is that right?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a ceiling mount hardwired smoke detector and I ant understand why.... Unless co2 detectors are all you really need. I understand the co2 is what kills you in a fire anyway, right?

When I look at lowes they distinctly sell both smoke and co2 detectors but on rv sites the emphasis is on just co2 and propane... Or I'm losing my mind!
Hmmm. I just got a new to me Eddie Bauer. I'm at the office, but I don't think I remember a smoke detector near the stove on the ceiling. My slightly older 2006 Safari had one there, and a CO detector near the floor in the kitchen cabinet, and another detector in the bedroom. I'm going to have to check again. Will post tomorrow. Night night,

Paula
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Hmmm. I just got a new to me Eddie Bauer. I'm at the office, but I don't think I remember a smoke detector near the stove on the ceiling. My slightly older 2006 Safari had one there, and a CO detector near the floor in the kitchen cabinet, and another detector in the bedroom. I'm going to have to check again. Will post tomorrow. Night night,

Paula

My 2012 28 Intl has a smoke detector in the great room. Goes off every time I cook and forget to run the vent.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The smoke detector is in the front of our trailer above the couch. It is probably a carbon monoxide detector as well. The propane detector is at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. The setup was similar on our previous trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
On an Airstream, the smoke detector is in the living room area on the ceiling, the CO (not CO2) detector is in the bedroom on the wall, and the LP detector is in the kitchen area, usually under the fridge, near the floor.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When I cook, I either take down the smoke detector and put it in a drawer or cover it with a shower cap like thing. It's mounted as far from the stove as it can be, but I've got a 20'.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
It seems you want something hard wired but you can find a battery powered Kidde CO and smoke detector combo at any big box store. I put one on the wall in the hallway back to the bedroom. These only seem to last a few years but are easy enough to replace.

Not sure of the LP detector I installed. That one is 12 volts DC and is hard wired. I installed it in the hollow wall where the holding tank vent goes up between the bath and galley. Power was spliced in under the galley sink to the line that powers the oven light. Looks like a factory install.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
It seems you want something hard wired but you can find a battery powered Kidde CO and smoke detector combo at any big box store. I put one on the wall in the hallway back to the bedroom. These only seem to last a few years but are easy enough to replace.

Not sure of the LP detector I installed. That one is 12 volts DC and is hard wired. I installed it in the hollow wall where the holding tank vent goes up between the bath and galley. Power was spliced in under the galley sink to the line that powers the oven light. Looks like a factory install.
Yes I am doing a project right now and I have a perfect place with a hole and power to hard wire in a ceiling mount smoke detector (where the crank for the antenna used to be), but all I can find are CO and propane detectors that are ceiling mount and hard wired (with battery backup). Plenty of battery powered models available and maybe the proliferation of inexpensive options like that is why nobody has made a hard wire 12v?

Well it's good to know that I'm not crazy and that a smoke detector is different than a CO detector.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
but all I can find are CO and propane detectors that are ceiling mount and hard wired (with battery backup).
I sure hope you haven't found a ceiling mount propane detector! Propane is heavier than air, and the detector should be near floor level.

On the other hand, compressed natural gas like you use at home is slightly lighter than air, so a home detector for CNG should be near the ceiling.

Don't get the two mixed up!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Good point and I stand corrected... The propane detectors are NOT ceiling mount but I ave found hardwired versions.

Hadn't had my coffee yet this morning when I first posted LOL
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
My 2005 has the co2 mid-ship bottom with Smoke on ceiling (kitchen) and carbon d in front ceiling area.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Good point and I stand corrected... The propane detectors are NOT ceiling mount but I ave found hardwired versions.

Hadn't had my coffee yet this morning when I first posted LOL
Well, caffeine IS the most important food group!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
CO or CO2? Personally never seen a CO2 detector, but I have been wrong before. Carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
People here sure do seem to know their periodic tables! LOL
WBCCI #1711
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
My 76 22' Argosy had no detectors of any kind. Should I add some? Anyone have any links to what is popular for use and dependable? I like living....
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
My 76 22' Argosy had no detectors of any kind. Should I add some? Anyone have any links to what is popular for use and dependable? I like living....
Yes, you should add a combination smoke/CO detector near or on the ceiling in sleeping areas, and an LPG detector near the floor, probably a few feet away from the furnace (since the furnace is normally the lowest ignition source).

If you go to Home Depot, you can find good battery-operated models that don't need to be wired into your trailer's 12v systems. Kidde makes a good detectors.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Thanks! I will check them out.
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I took the battery out of the smoke detector near the stove on my FC 19. My cooking sets it off and it's annoying
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
I took the battery out of the smoke detector near the stove on my FC 19. My cooking sets it off and it's annoying
My cooking is annoying, too! Ask anybody!

Do you have other smoke detectors, or just the one? As long as you have one just outside your sleeping area, you're probably okay without one in your galley area. But if the one in your galley is your only one, better to relocate it away from the stove and then put the battery back in. And open more vents when you cook. Which is what I have to do.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've had issues with smoke / heat detectors as sold for stick houses installed in my 5'er as replacements. The heat side would always go off, (no smoke, tea kettle) when cooking or steamy shower. Too low of a ceiling to bump the heat trigger?