Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Need new changeover regulator

I need a recommendation. I have a 2016 Classic. The white plastic window on the original (manufacturer Cavenga?) automatic changeover regulator fell off and is now missing. I need to replace the unit. Any recommendations (manufacturer and model#) would be most appreciated. In addition, any installation tips would also be helpful. Thank you.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I got an email from Good Sam about an upcoming recall on some of those regulators. I called AS yesterday and was told ours is not in the recall but yours might be. Worth a call.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
I need a recommendation. I have a 2016 Classic. The white plastic window on the original (manufacturer Cavenga?) automatic changeover regulator fell off and is now missing. I need to replace the unit. Any recommendations (manufacturer and model#) would be most appreciated. In addition, any installation tips would also be helpful. Thank you.
We had a failure on our automatic change regulator. Fire marshall showed up after a report of leaking LP! Yikes. So I replaced with the most expensive manual switch I could find in Silver City, NM ($68 at a propane service store). Easy to switch out yourself but you will need high pressure teflon tape. Google auto regulator failures and you will see many have the same issue after 2-3 years.
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
I have the Marshall Gas one in my Cayo, available here:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...p/vts-2400.htm

On my Airstream I have the stock one from 2010 which I believe is also made by Marshall and very similar to the one VTS sells.

There's not much to installing them. You want to be sure that the threads on your pigtails match the threads on on the regulator. Some are inverted flare, some are NPT. Use oil on inverted flare threads, use tape or dope on NPT threads. I have had better luck with paste dope than the tape but either can work. You may find that installation is easier if you disconnect the trailer end of the low-pressure propane hose before replacing the regulator, since the regulator end of the hose doesn't have a swivel.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Yes
New regulator is about $60 at an RV outlet
Easy change out but you need yellow teflon tape. I had to do the exchange at international on Escanaba last year...30 miutes and done. Just do a soap test when done.
KCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Nelson , British Columbia
I replaced the Cavagna 924 regulator recently as the original stopped working.

It was pretty straightforward except that the new one arrived with outlet brass female adapters installed with Loctite. You can see them in the picture at Amazon. I needed to remove them to attach the hoses.

I was unable to remove these brass outlets until I got help from my local machine shop who had the tools and know-how for the job.

Scott
sdwilsonsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
I ventured outside the AS model# and have been returning regulators w/parts (my own fault) due to: a. Wrong pigtail size b. Red/green flag indicator on side rather than visual from top; can’t see due to propane tank enclosure. c. Wrong BTU output d. One regulator bracket did not include mounting screws…..enough. Finally got all parts returned, got out my AS parts book, and ordered from the great parts group at Colonial AS as they had in stock.
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote