Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
need help with propane system

Hello all. I am trying to get the propane syatem in my new to me 75 international to work. I have a regulator that red flags when the bottles empty, so I took one to fill it this morning. It wont fill. I tried opening the valve onit, nothing comes out. You can crack the bleeder valve and get gas to come out. Problem is, nothing is goin inside the coach. I tried a spare bottle, same result. Do I have a regulator valve problem? do I need a new regulator? Everything worked in it eight months ago according the the previous owner. Help please.. and thanks, Richard
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So are you saying that the LP bottles are full, but the auto-switching regulator shows red when both bottles' valves are open?

You can test the gas bottles' valves by hooking them up to something dumb like a gas grill and making sure they allow gas to flow when they're hooked up properly. You can test the regulator in a similar fashion, unhook a fitting just downstream of it and see if gas flows out when the active bottle's valve is open.

There should also be shutoff valves in the lines under the trailer that may be closed, but it could be that the regulator's auto-switching valve is stuck between left and right and isn't letting any gas through.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you have valves under the trailer. If so, they need to be opened.
I have experienced the same problem with a 20 pound bottle. Had it filled and now I can't get any gas out except for the bleeder valve. Not sure what the answer is.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
The valves under the trailer are open. The line only has one shutoff, and it is inline postion. The bottles are not full, I just took one to the store today, could not get it to fill, it is either full or faulty, and the last certification is from 02. Maybe I can try opening the line from the regulator to the trailer, i am thinking faulty regulator, but that still does not explain why the bottle wont let gas out with the valve open. Unless there is something in the valve that requires a fitting to be inserted before opening, but who knows. I have a nother help me item, just though i would ask.. in a 69 safari, there is a switch to the ri9ght of the door as you enter, it is not doing anything in this trailer, want to know what that is for? (I have 4 airstreams, 75 international that is functional, a 69 safari funtional, a 68 international empty, and a 68 safari under construction. thanks for the help. you guys know way more than me. Richard
Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Do you mean you're concerned that they won't let gas out when nothing is connected and you open the valve? OPD valves won't let gas flow without the proper fitting attached unless there is a problem with them. To test if the OPD valve is opening or not, you'd need to attach one of the pigtails to the bottle, remove it from the regulator and then see if gas flows when you open the valve. Faulty regulator plus the normal behavior of OPD valves could cause the symptoms you've described so far, unless I'm misunderstanding the condition of the bottle when you're testing without the regulator.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The new OPD valves won't let any flow happen till they are connected to something. Are there any rubber hoses on the downstream side of the regulator? Mine had a flex hose that had swollen shut from oil exposure.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
OPD valves

I know that the new valves are a safety item, but sometimes they are a PITA!! if you're running a high draw item (furnace) and the line is sucked nearly empty before the reg. switches over, the rush of gas from the full tank can shut the valve off. if it's close to freezing outside(MN in the summer) the line can also freeze up!! OK!! shut both valves! shut off the water heater,furnace and stove. open each valve slowly, one at a time....
go in and try to light a stove burner. if that works, you are good to go.
if not, look for frost on the outside of one of the lines. wait a bit and try again. I drove a propane powered school bus for 8 yrs and the issues were all temp. related. propane pressure loss in 90* weather can freeze a line in a few sec. joe in MN
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Crack a fitting and see if something comes out. Don't do this for long and not with a cigarette in your mouth.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
reo
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
satellite beach , Florida
no lp

Look for the weight of your empty tank, TW stamped on the tank. make sure you really have filled tanks. Sometime an empty tank valve will stick and will not fill.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
If the folks that filled the bottle allowed the OPD to stop the flow going into the bottle, instead of watching the scale, the OPD could be stuck shut and not allowing flow.

I have seen this several times in bottles I traded with a swap-out station at a convenience store.

Drop the tank 3-5 inches on a hard service.

This small jolt will shake the OPD loose and allow fuel to flow.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
I think everyone is saying the same thing in a different way. The gas bottel needs to feel some back pressure or the safety valve will not allow any gas to leave the bottle. After trying some of these test and you still seem to have an issue, take the bottle to your local propane dealer and have him test it for you.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
success

Thanks for all the help, I did get it to flow, and each and everything on the answers is correct. I bled the hoses past the regulator, inserted just a fitting in the bottle and got gas to flow. Turned on the stove valve and everything seems good. I have removed the oven, and flared the line under the sink and capped it. I wanted to be sure of no leaks, and put the capped end into a bowl of water. no bubbles. so ; seems like once again the forum guru's solved the issue. Best regards from Texas, hope I can be of service to a member one of these days. Does anybody know how to join up with the local caravan or club if there is one down here in texas? Richard
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie722 View Post
Thanks for all the help, I did get it to flow, and each and everything on the answers is correct. I bled the hoses past the regulator, inserted just a fitting in the bottle and got gas to flow. Turned on the stove valve and everything seems good. I have removed the oven, and flared the line under the sink and capped it. I wanted to be sure of no leaks, and put the capped end into a bowl of water. no bubbles. so ; seems like once again the forum guru's solved the issue. Best regards from Texas, hope I can be of service to a member one of these days. Does anybody know how to join up with the local caravan or club if there is one down here in texas? Richard
There are a number of clubs in Texas. There's a WBCCI unit map here.

In October in Gonzales there's a vintage rally. Info here.

There are AIRForums rallies a few times a year in the Hill Country (usually Blanco and San Marcos).