Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
58 Traveler

1958 18' "Footer"
Seattle , Washington
Need help w/propane plumbing

I am re-plumbing the propane lines in an old 19ft Traveler and need help with details. My plan is to a run 1/2” copper rigid main line down the center and “T” with soft 3/8” copper to each side. I will also cover the lines with some kind of flexible plastic tube or PVC pipe for protection. Does it matter what kind of copper pipe I use if it is covered? Type M, L, K?? What about single vs double flare?

The original trailer had all kinds of connections and shut offs inside the trailer which could be many potential sources for leaks. The main outside “T” to each side will supply two appliances on each side. The old system ran a soft line to each side with a “T” and shut off to each inside. Should the new ”T” be inside or outside? Should I plumb in shut off valves for each appliance? If used, should these valves be inside or outside?

Thanks, Randy
Rmiller51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Type K soft copper for all the lines. Single flare will be fine. All valves and connections outside, under the rig. As few as possible connections inside the rig. Valves for each appliance are very nice.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
58 Traveler

1958 18' "Footer"
Seattle , Washington
Great! Thks, That confirms my research. Randy
Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the airforums Rmiller51,

Sounds like a nice project your involved in there. We would love to see pictures of your idea once installed. My only thought would be the placement of those copper pipes in the pvc piping. I believe they are exposed for inspection purposes. If the connections were to ever leak you may not know and those pvc pipes could be filled with gas.

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
58 Traveler

1958 18' "Footer"
Seattle , Washington
Rather than a loose PVC pipe to cover the copper line, what do you think about using clear braided hose, slit along the length and zip tied for protection? This would be a tighter fit. Not sure if that would be the same kind of gas entrapment issue or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane_Gascocks.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	145666  
Old 11-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Type K soft copper for all the lines. Single flare will be fine. All valves and connections outside, under the rig. As few as possible connections inside the rig. Valves for each appliance are very nice.
Single flares may 'be fine' but they are NOT to current RVIA standards, which require DOUBLE FLARES at all flair fittings when used in LP applications. If you are going to do the job, DO IT RIGHT! A double flair takes a few seconds more to complete than a single one and has much better sealing properties.

Further, I would use rigid black pipe as the main line and branch from that with 'K-type' copper for the branch lines.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote