Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Okay one question...

The regulator "holder" has two holes for the rod to insert through. I would put 2 nuts top and bottom, on the top hole, but what about the bottom? In other words, does the thread need to extend to allow nuts both on top and bottom of the reg. holder?
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Regulator Mount

My original LP bottle hold down has the regulator mount attached (welded in place) to the bottle hold down clamp. It is free sliding (up and down) on the threaded rod and after contacting the bottles the clamp is tightened down (by the large wing nut) until the bottles are secured tight in the holder. I have added a nut to the top of that so as to "lock" the wing nut in place after bottles as secured. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Before posting about a similar problem, I found this thread with a search. Yeah! Great thread!

I recently switched from 40# to 30# tanks. My 1975 rod was held in place by a 'roll pin' or whatever. I thought I'd pop it out and drill another hole in the right place to hold the 30#'ers. I would also avoid the problem of the front solar guard impinging on the gas bottle holder rod...

....2 hours later, 2 busted drill bits, 2 rounded out metal punches and the roll pin is still pretty much the way it started! That sucker is in there to stay!

I'm thinking of taking the earlier suggestion and just threading the rod further down. I assume this is 1/2" coarse thread....

I think I may weld the rod too just for extra insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roll pin.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	34329  
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Yep, those pins are tough! I had a really hard time getting it out. And in fact, I started to put the new one in, but changed my mind 1/4 way through- thought it was, perhaps, too thick (it was tooooooo hard to pound in!) and had quite a time getting that one out.

I ended up drilling the rod and dropping it (without more thread) but have yet to put the new pin in...
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Removing spring pins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPeakMD
Before posting about a similar problem, I found this thread with a search. Yeah! Great thread!

I recently switched from 40# to 30# tanks. My 1975 rod was held in place by a 'roll pin' or whatever. I thought I'd pop it out and drill another hole in the right place to hold the 30#'ers. I would also avoid the problem of the front solar guard impinging on the gas bottle holder rod...

....2 hours later, 2 busted drill bits, 2 rounded out metal punches and the roll pin is still pretty much the way it started! That sucker is in there to stay!

I'm thinking of taking the earlier suggestion and just threading the rod further down. I assume this is 1/2" coarse thread....

I think I may weld the rod too just for extra insurance.
You can get better removal on these type pins if you soak them with a lubricant like PB Blaster Breakfree or WD40 first then drive them with a punch of just slightly smaller diameter than the pin itself and a 2# sledge hammer or 16 oz. or larger Ballpene hammer. FYI, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote