Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I always leave one tank closed - even though I may have to go out in my jammies, I've never run completely out on a cold night since.

Pat
Same here. The only thing worse than going outside at 3:00am to restore the heat is to not have that option (and listen to Mrs HiHo from 3:00am to 8:00am)

HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfetterer
OK, it's 40 degrees and raining and the forecast is for colder temps and the propane tanks are empty. I'm new to the Airstream thing so I'm hoping there is a better way of monitoring tanks than the walk through guy told us. Basically, he said that the tanks would change automatically and that we could tell when a tank was empty by the small lever at the valve.

The lever never changed and the tanks are both empty. Is there a good way to gage the tanks so that I can anticipate when I need to fill these things?
Sounds to me like you need a new Airstream. They come with full propane tanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Radiator System

Didn't I read a thread where one owner had modified a second hot water tank and pump plus some Pex tubing to make a radiator system to heat his trailer?

My water heater uses very, very little propane - and the furnace just sucks down propane. It also blows frigid air for two minutes with every start up and you go from frozen to baking hot, back to frozen with every cycle. Keeping the black and gray tanks from freezing shouldn't be that big of a deal either. I'd bet that the heat would be steadier, warmer and use a lot less propane.

If Airstream would like me to weaken and buy another new unit - they'd go a long way toward doing it with some better option than the current propane sucking furnaces.

Paula F.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
See thread below for a gadget that lets you know when the Marshall valve has switched-over, from inside the warmth of the trailer. That way you can keep both valves open for proper use of the change over valve. It is made by Marshall.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...tor-36060.html

....................Scott
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Didn't I read a thread where one owner had modified a second hot water tank and pump plus some Pex tubing to make a radiator system to heat his trailer?
Paula F.
Keep in mind that the Airstream forced air system also heats the underbelly, keeping all three tanks from freezing.

.............Scott
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward
Keep in mind that the Airstream forced air system also heats the underbelly, keeping all three tanks from freezing.

.............Scott
Found the thread! This actually would work LIKE a furnace with forced air - which should take care of the tanks. Of course YUCK! fermenting poo gives off heat too!
RV Hydronic Heating System

Paula
Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks all!
I refilled the tanks today and allís well. I think an electric alternative is an option because we are on shore power all the time right now. Otherwise I think itís probably just a learning curve. I just have to get the feel of a new trailer.
And thanks wjboswell for the great links.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
LP fillers think taking in a partly empty tank is a PITA.
Bob, I hear what you're saying, but I don't recall ever wondering (or caring) what he thought about it.
Dave
Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Sounds to me like you need a new Airstream. They come with full propane tanks.
Now, Now, if no one bought the new ones there would be no vintage ones for your kids.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb

I have seen propane tank gages that are a thremosensitive strip you stick on the tank. When gas is being drawn, the liquid portion absorbs heat as it changes to the gas phase, amking the bottom of the tank cooler. The gage strip changes color based on temperature, giving a good quick reading of the level. Note it only works when you are drawing off propane, not while the tank is just sitting there. HIH
-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfetterer
Thanks all!
I refilled the tanks today and allís well. I think an electric alternative is an option because we are on shore power all the time right now. Otherwise I think itís probably just a learning curve. I just have to get the feel of a new trailer.
And thanks wjboswell for the great links.
Dude, why spend money on using your propane when you can use the electricity paid for when you paid for the sight. I have a ceramic heater to heat the camper and I'm thinking it will keep the tanks warm enough to keep from freezing. I am however new to campers so I don't know if the ceramic heater will heat the camper enough to keep the tanks from freezing. Does anyone know if this is the case? I don't think I will hardly ever be in temps below say 20-30 degrees farenheight, so I will only need to raise the temp of the tanks a few degrees.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
The ceramic heater will only keep the tanks from freezing if you keep the temp well above freezing. If you want to keep the tanks from freezing skirt the trailer and put a heater underneath.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
Dude, why spend money on using your propane when you can use the electricity paid for when you paid for the sight. I have a ceramic heater to heat the camper and I'm thinking it will keep the tanks warm enough to keep from freezing. I am however new to campers so I don't know if the ceramic heater will heat the camper enough to keep the tanks from freezing. Does anyone know if this is the case? I don't think I will hardly ever be in temps below say 20-30 degrees farenheight, so I will only need to raise the temp of the tanks a few degrees.
The issue is getting the heat into the areas and how cold it is. That's why Airstream ducts some heat into critical areas from the forced air furnace. The cost of the propane is pretty cheap compared to the effort necessary in replacing damaged lines.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
The issue is getting the heat into the areas and how cold it is. That's why Airstream ducts some heat into critical areas from the forced air furnace. The cost of the propane is pretty cheap compared to the effort necessary in replacing damaged lines.

Jack
If I can keep the temp in the trailor at about 66 degrees wouldn't that kkep the tanks above freezing if the temp doesn't drop below 20 degrees farenheight. I also like Cats idea of skirting the trailor and putting a small electric heater under the trailor. This way there is no need to worry about gas leaks or having to pay for propane. Also not having to buy lp and CO2 detectors offsets the cost of the heaters( you can get a good ceramic heater for 30 dollars). I plan on running the fridge on electric as well and will only use the stove when I am present, awake, alert and cooking. Like I said, I am new to this and I may find this not to be as efficient or cost effective but I can't see how it wouldn't be. Although now I just thought about the hot water heater, does it have to run on propane or can it run on electric as well? I am learning these things as I go as I just picked up my 35 yr old camper a week ago and this is my first experience with a camper. Help me out here, please.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote