Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Agoura Hills , California
My '61 Dometic died!

I've been nursing the burner/pilot on the Dometic refrigerator in my '61 Tradewind for a couple years now, but I fear it's finally giving up the ghost. Takes forever to light, sometimes won't stay lit once the burner kicks in, and dies completely when it reaches the set temperature.

I'm sure the burner/pilot assembly is no longer available. Has anyone found a replacement that allows you to still keep the refrigeration unit itself?
TomsEid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My '61 Dometic died!

I guess there are 2 options, cobble the propane system and controls from a late model unit or convert it to a 12 v compressor. I have an original working fridge in a '61 and if it's burner dies I'm going to try a Frankenstein with a late model dead fridge that I collected. I believe that the Btu requirement is much higher in the old fridge so it might need some extra help to get the flame bigger.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Yep, that's what I've concluded as well. Really want to stay with a propane system since I'm off-grid a lot and only have one large solar-powered 12V battery. It's fine for lights, music, etc, but would empty pretty fast powering a frig, I think. I'd love to find an old Dometic that I could steal the burner from, but they're pretty hard to locate.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I found a mid '70's fridge that has a bad cooling pack. I'm planning on using everything from the propane inlet to the burner, including the controls. "Planning" is the wrong word I guess. I'm actually "hoping" I don't have too!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Old RV fridge

So when I first got my 69 caravel, it still had the orig dometic in it. The fridge worked fine, but some of the plastic shelving on the door was broken, and there were some stains on the interior.

I thought, well, I'll use this as long as it works, then when it finally dies, I'll replace it with a nice new one!

Well, 15 years (!) later, the thing is still working! Others have advised me that when it does die, I should fix it up because the new ones don't last but a few years, and if I do get rid of it, to call them, because they would buy it off of me and fix it up.

I don't know where to get replacement parts, but I assume there are folks out there who can actually repair the darn things.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Thank you for the feedback and great ideas. Not quite sure where I could find another old Dometic- or any propane refrig from that era- but that's what I'll start looking for. If I do find one and am able to use the parts, I'll post something so you can all see how successfully (or disastrously) it went!
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsEid View Post
Yep, that's what I've concluded as well. Really want to stay with a propane system since I'm off-grid a lot and only have one large solar-powered 12V battery. It's fine for lights, music, etc, but would empty pretty fast powering a frig, I think. I'd love to find an old Dometic that I could steal the burner from, but they're pretty hard to locate.

I have a 1964 Dometic that would not cool anymore...hydrogen leak killed it. I have already sold the door from it. Would be happy to part it out further. It always lit and ran perfectly fine on gas and also on electric. Let me know exactly what you need, and maybe we can figure something out.

I had also replaced the electric thermostat a year before it died. I have the original packaging from that and will remove it before scrapping the unit completely.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Wow, very cool, thanks so much. I will take a picture of my burner unit and sent it along and maybe we can figure out if yours will work.