Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Moving bathroom from rear to mid

Hey Folks:

Gutted my 27' twin bead rear bath.

Here's the thing: I really like the newer floorpans that have a rear bedroom. Seems much more private and sensible to me.

Shell is off, and frame is ready to haul to the welder.

What are your suggestions / concerns for relocating the bathroom and shower to the wheel wells?

Thanks,

B
GuitarmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Groo The Wanderer

1964 26' Overlander
Tucson , Arizona
I have thought the same thing (along with a ton of others), but the windows seem to be the main issue. I am reinforcing my frame regardless of what floor plan I end up with during my reno, but reinforcing the frame + thinking through weight distribution is more to consider. You don't want to adversely affect the frame or the towing characteristics.
IndianaDanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I'm in the middle of converting my '63 Overlander from a twin rear bath to a full rear bed with a mid bath.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm doing a side wet bath on a 71 GT with a rear bed, it's just going to have a window in it, no big deal just have to close the curtain if modest. I already have the vents in and the grey tanks are not as wide to allow for drain plumbing.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Groo The Wanderer

1964 26' Overlander
Tucson , Arizona
My main concern with the window is the constant water at a penetration point in the shell...even with all kinds of sealant. Water tends to find a way to the openings.
IndianaDanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Here's my thought on the weight issue: Currently the black tank was all the way aft. @ 30 gals thats about 250 pounds. That seems more stressful on a frame that it being towards the midpoint of the frame, no?

I am thinking and may be wrong that having the black and fresh water near the tandem axles would better balance with distribution, but I have zero practical knowledge of trailer design.

I like the idea of just the one large window too. Ideally, I'll be mostly out west in scenic places, and curtains will provide any privacy we will need but hope fully the windows will be wide open! I just like the bed in the back with the door closed concept.

Construction quality: I'd also heard that A/S were "made by aircraft workers" well if it was, they should have all been fired. Almost no joints were lined up with any precision, rivets entirely missed structural connections, I thought as I disassembled mine "Yep, no wonder they practically went out of business". IT was just really lazy work, and I could tell no one took any pride nor cared about craftmenship.

The one exception I saw was the plumbing, fwiw, that was precise, nice work.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
My 25' has rear twin, center bath. All three tanks are in the center section, my dump valves are in front of the first axle. The frame appears to have wide spans in this area, the floor was springy. I guess you would be moving the grey and black water tanks.

Yes the rear only supports the beds, rear outside entering hatches for storage under the beds, three uppers and two half height closets. The inside fender covers terminate at the bedroom. There are floor to ceiling partition on both sides, the bathroom side sticks in 39" the kitchen side come in 31". Hot water heater is located in the bathroom side under the bed but just behind the fender.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Having lived with a rear bath, I would not hesitate to move it forward and put the bed in the back. As long as you can engineer the plumbing to accommodate it, then you should be fine. Having the sewage discharge farther forward is another benefit. Go for it.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
My 25' has rear twin, center bath. All three tanks are in the center section, my dump valves are in front of the first axle. The frame appears to have wide spans in this area, the floor was springy. I guess you would be moving the grey and black water tanks.

Yes the rear only supports the beds, rear outside entering hatches for storage under the beds, three uppers and two half height closets. The inside fender covers terminate at the bedroom. There are floor to ceiling partition on both sides, the bathroom side sticks in 39" the kitchen side come in 31". Hot water heater is located in the bathroom side under the bed but just behind the fender.

Right now my sketches are as follows:

my 27' is only 23' measured on the inside. plan is to have the new rear bedroom extend from back to front terminating at the beginning of the wheel wells, which also coincide with the windows. Bulkhead #1 will be there with the original bathroom sliding door. Floor to ceiling. This makes the bedroom 6' x 7.5'.

I have not decided which side of the trailer to install the bathroom, but for some reason I'm leaning on the driver side - I think that is called the "curb side", in TT parlance...

I'm currently allotting about 6' x 3' for the shower and toilet. This placed them directly over the tandem axels, and I have to figure out the plumbing.

Moving forward on the Curb Side, next will be the fridge.

Directly across from the bathroom will be the kitchen, which will only have a stove top, toaster oven and sink. No oven. Not planning on baking any pies inside...

This does mean I have my original vent stack to move. I don't love the idea, but feel pretty confident I can handle it with no major issues. I saved all the black plastic plumbing in tact and will probably re-use some of the special pieces.

I'm a bit concerned about all the tank connections as I've never done that before, but I'll take it one step at a time and hopefully it will work out okay.

Thanks you guys for helping confirm this makes sense - I really do like it as a floor plan much better!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
1971 31' Sovereign
Orlando , Florida
I took a look at your blog. I also am planning on LED strips. I don't really know the type and quantity to provide sufficient lighting. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Brek
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Botgek , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanFL View Post
Right now my sketches are as follows:

my 27' is only 23' measured on the inside. plan is to have the new rear bedroom extend from back to front terminating at the beginning of the wheel wells, which also coincide with the windows. Bulkhead #1 will be there with the original bathroom sliding door. Floor to ceiling. This makes the bedroom 6' x 7.5'.

I have not decided which side of the trailer to install the bathroom, but for some reason I'm leaning on the driver side - I think that is called the "curb side", in TT parlance...

I'm currently allotting about 6' x 3' for the shower and toilet. This placed them directly over the tandem axels, and I have to figure out the plumbing.

Moving forward on the Curb Side, next will be the fridge.

Directly across from the bathroom will be the kitchen, which will only have a stove top, toaster oven and sink. No oven. Not planning on baking any pies inside...

This does mean I have my original vent stack to move. I don't love the idea, but feel pretty confident I can handle it with no major issues. I saved all the black plastic plumbing in tact and will probably re-use some of the special pieces.

I'm a bit concerned about all the tank connections as I've never done that before, but I'll take it one step at a time and hopefully it will work out okay.

Thanks you guys for helping confirm this makes sense - I really do like it as a floor plan much better!
I to am planning on moving the bathroom to the side. I have 78' 31' that I just finished gutting. I'm interested in how the process went? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sirwalshalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I'm planning out right now on my 25 foot '72 Tradewind . Anyone have any thing to add to the mid bathroom conversion?

Any floor plans around of bathroom with sink, shower, toilet (composting?) arrange over a wheel well? Links or diagrams would be great.

Thanks
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
GuitarmanFL what did you end up doing??
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote