Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
main LP supply line from regulator

I got a question, my '71 caravel 18 has a questionable hose that supplies the LP to the entire trailer. This is the main hose coming from the regulator.
It looks like an old gas washer/dyer line. Its metal and is accordian pleated so it can be shaped. I've installed new pigtails and now need to remove this thing and replace. What am I looking for in a replacement?

Byron
Byron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If you are looking for the same line I have, good luck! I have yet to locate a replacement.

Your best bet is to take the old one to big-city gas parts warehouse, and see what they can do.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Thanks Tom, yup! that white line is like mine. Not really interested in an exact replacement, just what is safe. But I'll check with Big-City and see what they cook up.

Thanks,
Byron
Byron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Byron:

Not the correct line!!!! What you are seeing is a RESIDENTIAL supply line, not meant to deal with much vibration. You need a flexible rubber supply line, low pressure, usually 1/2" or 3/8" diameter hose. Any RV supply will have a catalog with the correct line or maybe even in stock. Depending on your year coach the only problem you may run into is reducing from the 5/8 copper line that Airstream used on older coaches. It is doable though.

Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Here's MY losing argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom
...Not the correct line!!!! ...
Greg,

Not that I necessarily disagree, but the challenge in replacing the line is not the line itself but finding a line (any line) with the proper fittings.

One of my pet peeves in working with any type of plumbing repair (gas, water, etc.) is needing to replace a component that has, IMO, standard fittings, but the parts house does not sell it that way. The only way to complete the repair is add one or more adaptors to [whatever] until it is suitable for use. To date, I have not been able to find enough adapters to accomplish the replacement of my low pressure flex line.

Quote:
... What you are seeing is a RESIDENTIAL supply line, ...
By today's standards, and code requirements. I assert nothing in the following because the Safety world will win any argument in this case: The white line in my web site's picture is still going strong after 38 years.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Tom:

Go to www.doityourself.com you'll find 5/8F x 1/2F fittings and 1/2F x 1/2P or 3/8P, pretty cheap too, the hose 1/2F x 1/2F x 30" or 36" through any RV supply. True you do have to do some reducing but as you say Safety will win out and believe me the line you have now is not safe it may have lasted this long if it was carefully installed and not allowed alot of movement. I change every line I run into on the older Airstreams....2-3 a month! Also the old solid copper tank to regulator lines.

Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Interesting thread.

I have not done any work on my propane system for my Overlander. EVERYTHING* works except the hot water heater and that is due to a inop thermocouple. The system is 39 years old with no leaks. I have checked that. I use the trailer almost all the time for trips to Mexico. In Mexico propane is used a lot for many purposes. And OPD's are not required there. The propane companies know what they are doing when they fill. It's a higher paying job than in the US. While my tanks are newer with no OPD's, the trailer still has the original copper feeds to both tanks. The regulator is a manual switch over from tank to tank. And I too have the accordian line. It looks a bit ragged because it has been painted several times and the paint is peeling. Usage is such that both tanks filled last a couple of years.

So my Q is ..... with basically a solid functioning system (however it does not look so pretty) should I replace the lines? (In front of and behind the regulator) The regulator? How about the lines under the trailer? How do I know when parts and pieces need to be replaced other than the soapy water check which I do annually now. (That is an easy thing.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

*Original refer, cook top, oven, and furnace.