Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
I just ran into a problem I had not been aware of...

Found both of my aluminum 40's had bad internal sealing gaskets where the male fitting of the pigtail mates to the OPD valve.

These seals are not O rings, rather they are pressed into the valve during the manufacturing process....

Just wanted remind the Forum of a few more maintenance items for your periodic inspection list.
My OPD Valves have the same internal seal on a metal insert that is threaded into the valve...I know this because one backed out to the point the refill fitting wouldn't screw in.

Just one more thing to watch for...

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I saw the results of a 1 pound bottle exploding. I do not want to be in the same county if a larger tank goes up. You do not have to go overboard, but please take care of your tanks.
Sam

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, that little one-pound amount of liquid propane expands by up to 270 times when it becomes a gas.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I saw the results of a 1 pound bottle exploding. I do not want to be in the same county if a larger tank goes up. You do not have to go overboard, but please take care of your tanks.
Sam
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If I recall correctly, inspection in the US has to be at or before twelve years; ten in Canada. I don't know about re-inspections.

A US approved tank between 10 and 12 years may be a problem when and if you go to Canada.

Gene
Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
Sam
On the other hand, I've heard of tanks falling off campers and hitting the road with nothing more than damage to the paint. They're pretty strong.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
We ran out another bottle of LPG returning home from a trip the other week, and I decided to paint the cylinder before getting it refilled.

The lady at the U-HAUL remarked how shiny the bottle was... "and new, too!"

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
British Columbia -- We have on Vancouver Island a certified re builder that will restore your tank to OEM standard. Viper Fuels propane tank exchangeViper Fuels will inspect and recondition your tank at a reasonable price with quick turnaround if you want your specific tank back.

Propane tanks are outdate after ten years in Canada.

Another note on this subject is many of the service stations that once had LPG refill facilities have now removed this service. The new regulations require licensed staff that makes the service uneconomical for the smaller stations. There are however many more tank exchange locations now that include hardware stores, Canadian Tire, etc

Dave
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
British Columbia -- We have on Vancouver Island a certified re builder that will restore your tank to OEM standard. Viper Fuels propane tank exchangeViper Fuels will inspect and recondition your tank at a reasonable price with quick turnaround if you want your specific tank back.

Propane tanks are outdate after ten years in Canada.

Another note on this subject is many of the service stations that once had LPG refill facilities have now removed this service. The new regulations require licensed staff that makes the service uneconomical for the smaller stations. There are however many more tank exchange locations now that include hardware stores, Canadian Tire, etc

Dave
The initial date expires after 10 years, after that you require re-certification every 5 years.

In Ottawa (Canada), there is a shop that does all propane repairs and certifications -- I had to have my Land Yacht motorhome (built-in tank) certified (and recertified every 5 years) for purposes of the Ontario Motor Vehicles Dept. In fact, at some events (Pembroke Fiddling Contest), the local fire department checks to see that all motorhomes have up-to-date certifications, failing which you will be asked to leave pronto!
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
troup , Texas
Just got our new 73 Overlander and I'm pretty sure the lp tanks oem.......if so how much should i expect to pay to have them refitted with up to date opd valves and certified.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This site lists all the certified testers in Texas.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...est/cyl_tx.pdf

Just phone one of your LPG suppliers, and they will guide you.

I seems every jurisdiction has different rules.

Dave
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #25
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I suspect that the rules in place for recertification are nearly as varied as those for filling: While Canada may have federal rules in place, the US has fifty sets of them (or, in some cases, the lack of them).

Lynn
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I suspect that the rules in place for recertification are nearly as varied as those for filling: While Canada may have federal rules in place, the US has fifty sets of them (or, in some cases, the lack of them).

Lynn
Actually, the USA only has one rule, that applies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 58, "LP Gas Code." Latest edition is dated 2011.

From Appendix C of NFPA 58:
Quote:
C.3.2.1 DOT rules prohibit cylinders from being refilled, continued in service, or transported unless they are properly qualified or requalified for LP-Gas service in accordance with DOT regulations.

C.3.2.2
DOT rules require a careful examination of every cylinder each time it is to be filled, and a cylinder must be rejected if there is evidence of exposure to fire or if there are bad gouges or dents, seriously corroded areas, leaks, or other conditions indicating possible weaknesses that might render it unfit for service. The following disposition is to be made of rejected cylinders:

(1) Cylinders subjected to fire are required to be requalified, reconditioned, or repaired in accordance with C.3.3 or permanently removed from service, except that DOT 4E (aluminum) cylinders and composite material cylinders used under a special permit issued by DOT must be permanently removed from service.
(2) Cylinders showing serious physical damage or leaks or showing a reduction in the marked tare weight of 5 percent or more are required to be retested in accordance with C.3.2.4(1) or (2) and, if necessary, repaired in accordance with C.3.3.

C.3.2.3
All cylinders, including those apparently undamaged, are required to be periodically requalified for continued service. The first requalification for a new cylinder is required within 12 years after the date of manufacture. Subsequent requalifications are required within the periods specified under the requalification method used. Composite material cylinders used under a special permit issued by DOT must be requalified in accordance with the terms of the permit.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadrv View Post
Just got our new 73 Overlander and I'm pretty sure the lp tanks oem.......if so how much should i expect to pay to have them refitted with up to date opd valves and certified.
When I had mine done with the valves it was within $10 less then buying a new metal tank, worth it for aluminum tanks though.

I don't remember the price since it was many years ago and no doubt changed and not worth trying to remember.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Yes, the NFPA book is the gold standard, but it is not a law. Rather, each state is free to accept, reject, or modify what they see in NFPA 58, to use as they see fit. For instance, at least one state I know of rejected that part of 58 that mandated OPD valves. (I assume that they did not want to burden less well-heeled people with more cost, but that's just a guess.) Similarly, other states have effectively rejected the NFPA recommendation to fill by either weight or volume, noting that filling by volume is less friendly to the environment.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, the USA only has one rule, that applies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 58, "LP Gas Code." Latest edition is dated 2011.

From Appendix C of NFPA 58:
[/LEFT]