Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Copper line repairs and/or replacement

Gentlemen, I believe that we can all agree on one thing if nothing else. The trailer/mh owner has every right to do as he/she pleases as to the quality of repair or replacement that they choose to do or feel comfortable with on their trailer or motorhome! With that said the issue here is Safety FIRST! It goes without saying that old piping on old coaches/motorhomes is a safety issue and should never be taken lightly. If it were me, I would opt to change all the old copper out for new. As was previously never can know the amount of propane, the usage llevel of appliances, nor the road miles that are on the old piping. I also will say that replacing this piping should be best done by a professional. I'm sure that there are propane dealers that will take on the replacement of these line and connect all appliances for a fee and will stand behind their workmanship. Then too, you can always have an Airstream Dealer or other RV dealer do the work. Either way it screams to be done right by someone who knows how to deal with propane systems. Shelling out the dough to get it done the right way may not be fun but neither are funerals. So save a life or two and spend the money to have the job done right and save your piece of mind. mho... Ed

1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Interesting points made by all, great posts! Even though I am the son of a plumber, and have flared lots of copper, I have never seen a "double flair". Anyone have a picture of one?

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #17
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by Pick
Interesting points made by all, great posts! Even though I am the son of a plumber, and have flared lots of copper, I have never seen a "double flair". Anyone have a picture of one?
This recent thread talks about that subject:
Post #20 has a good drawing of how it is done,

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Trinity , Alabama
This thread reminds me of time I worked at large chemical plant. We had hundreds of miles of piping and tubing of all types and a large crew of skilled pipefitters. Someone in safety decided that we did not have anyone qualified to make up supply hoses for propane powered fork lifts and that hoses had to be made by "certified" people at propane dealer. I know for a fact that whoever happened to be handy truck driver, janitor or whatever actually made up the hoses
norsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Pick
The tool that makes a double flare is not the same as the tool that makes a single flare . I seriously doubt that you can buy a double flare tool at a regular hardware store for 17 bucks . A plumbing supply or good auto supply should have one , break lines also use a double flare .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #20
1988 34.5' Airstream 345
new york , New York
Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I'm still researching what to do for a final solution. In the meanwhile, I disconnected the leaking pipe and have it capped with 3/8" flare cap --my odors are gone and now I'll have a bit more time (I just can't use my propane heater in the main cabin for a while). I'll surely replace the whole thing.

Interesting fact about the odorant in propane --makes sense. Very glad to have that problem eliminated.

Will update more when I proceed with the repair,

Urban camping in San Francisco, Ca
1988 Airstream 345 Motorhome
1964 Vespa GS
1982 VW Qauntum, turbo diesel
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
nickglase is offline   Reply With Quote