Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

LP Valve Tank Leak Question

I own a 1975 Argosy 20 MH. I went to fill up the tank last weekend and got home and opened the valve on the tank and in line between the shut off valve and regulator there is a square looking gismo that has a seam in the middle of it where it was leaking. What is it? Can it be removed permanently or where to find replacement? I don't have a picture yet if I need one I can post one. Thanks, Matt

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It may be for a sensor, if there isn't one on the tank itself.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Terry, there is a sensor on the tank higher up. It seems to have a bladder sandwiched in the middle or it and where the leak is. I have seen what they call a low pressure valve that look similar. Matt
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I was looking in mh book maybe called a spring case . not good enough with computer to show it to you.I have a 1977 Argosy 28'
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Wonder what its function is and can or should it be deleted? Thanks Gypsy Jo
Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
This is what book says:"The LPG regulators used on Agosy Motor Homes are designed for low pressure(inches of water column) service with a normal outlet pressure setting of 11" W.C. Only personal trained in the proper procedures, codes, standards, etc. should service regulators. Periodicaly inspect the regulator. Visualy inspect the regulator each time the tank is refilled. Make sure the regulator vent opening on both the first and second stage regulators does not become plugged by mud, insects, snow,ice, paint, etc. Vents must remain open. Replace any regulator that has had water in the spring case, or shows evidence of external corrosion, or corrosion inside the spring case. Closely examine regulators directly connected to the container valve by means of a solid POL adapter(horizontal mounting) for signe of corrosion. (An Argosy Service Center is recommended for this service)" After all that you probably need to replace it I don't know if that part is still available the newer ones are two pieces connected together. It might be simpler to get a newer regulator they are not that expensive I got one for my newer mh at a hardware store.Just have to make sure it will fit probably won,t bolt up wher the other one is mine is just held up by being attached to the valve.Don't know what kind of shopping options you have but you could go to a regular propane store .If no luck at hardware or rv store. Hope this helps.Just took a closer look at Argosy regulator does not bolt up. What I would do would be to take both the regulator and the piece that is leaking with you when you go for another one.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Good advice will do. Thanks for the info very helpful.