Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
LP tanks delivered purged?

Hello. Took delivery of an Airstream 2020 recently. Tanks weren’t filled. Went to a specialized propane place and they said they didn’t need purging before filling. I pressed and they insisted there was no need. Are new Airstream tanks already purged or somehow not needing it? Thanks for the info.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I have bought a number of tanks, and if you are getting something like Worthington or better then they can come purged. There will be a sticker of the fill valve or something. So yes it is a possibility.
And if they are going to fill your tanks why worry?
I would more wonder why the dealer didn't fill your tanks for you as a courtesy fill the first time out?
Regardless, enjoy your trailer and have fun!!!
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I have bought a number of tanks, and if you are getting something like Worthington or better then they can come purged. There will be a sticker of the fill valve or something. So yes it is a possibility.
And if they are going to fill your tanks why worry?
I would more wonder why the dealer didn't fill your tanks for you as a courtesy fill the first time out?
Regardless, enjoy your trailer and have fun!!!

Yes, good question on the dealer. Their location is next to an oil pipeline and apparently that prevents them from storing/filling propane. They are otherwise a stellar dealer so I tend to buy the reason!
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Hello. Took delivery of an Airstream 2020 recently. Tanks weren’t filled. Went to a specialized propane place and they said they didn’t need purging before filling. I pressed and they insisted there was no need. Are new Airstream tanks already purged or somehow not needing it? Thanks for the info.
Cylinders come pre-purged from Worthington or Manchester. Airstream sources all of their's from Worthington so you are fine.
foolrushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It is not uncommon for the tanks to be vented a bit while filling them. A lot depends on just how the "fill station" is set up. The same venting process will flush whatever is in the tank. It's just a screw on the valve .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I recently purchased a 10 lb Aluminum tank that was shipped directly from Worthington and it was not purged. There was a sticker on it warning that it needed to be purged before filling.

I don't know about the steel tanks that come with Airstreams as to whether or not they are purged.

Cheers,
Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I recently purchased a 10 lb Aluminum tank that was shipped directly from Worthington and it was not purged. There was a sticker on it warning that it needed to be purged before filling.

I don't know about the steel tanks that come with Airstreams as to whether or not they are purged.

Cheers,
Bryan
Hi

At least some Airstreams come with Worthington aluminum tanks ( = mine did). Since we don't know which RV the OP has, it's a bit tough to guess what kind of tank he might have.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
LP tanks delivered purged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

At least some Airstreams come with Worthington aluminum tanks ( = mine did). Since we don't know which RV the OP has, it's a bit tough to guess what kind of tank he might have.

Bob

It’s a Bambi 2020 22FB.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
One of those delivery questions I wish I'd have asked.
"Are the propane tanks full?"
Here's how my walkthrough went, "Here's how you light the stove. Oops, it doesn't light, I hope those guys put propane in......Moving along, here's how the fridge ..."
In reality, the tanks did have propane. Lit with a gas match.
I'd think a reputable dealer would include it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some tanks come labeled as ‘vacuum purged’. That’s only good for six months after manufacturing date.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote