Old 10-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Lp tanks and generator use

Greetings, I have an LP generator that I enjoyed using quite a bit this summer. I want to get a quick connect for the hose to the tank as the process of hooking it up with a wrench takes quite a bit of time. I am thinking of the green type 1 QCC connector like the pigtail hoses have. The picture shows what is on the end of the hose that came with my generator. What type of fitting would I need to make it a quick connect without changing the actual tank fitting? That way I could simply unscrew the pigtail and screw on the generator hose and be done with it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	250403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935 (1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	250404  

Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If you take the propane nipple off the regulator and install a qcc connector on the regulator to the generator you'll have what you're looking for if I understand correctly. No need to change tank outlet at all. Screw one off by hand and one on by hand.
If you have an auto changeover this means that if the check valve in the changeover fails it could discharge propane out of the disconnected line though.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
ok. I fi I understand the auto changover that you describe, it would be on my trailer regulator. What I would be doing is disconnecting the "switched off" tank from the trailer regulator and either have the generator connected or straight away have the trailer pigtail reconnected. I believe my trailer regulator is manual or auto with the auto setting in the middle of the switch. I usually leave one tank completely turned off at the valve so that I know how much is in each tank or when one is empty- don't want to be caught without LP! Thank you for replying.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
What type of LP generator do you have?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Rodster: Does your trailer have an LP quick disconnect on it? I run two Honda 2000s simultaneously through mine. If not, you might want to have one plumbed for your generators and other appliances such as a gas grill.

The quick disconnect that Airstream uses is an industry standard 1/4" QD. You can find them from Camco or MB Sturgis (it's their model 250).

I have done a bunch of tests on mine and written in ther posts specific to Honda 2000s converted to propane. I can cut and paste that info here as I understand more details about how you are trying to use your setup.

There is also a 3/8" LP QD standard. Both that and the 1/4 I mentioned above are for low pressure propane (the 11" WC pressure found in lines throughout the trailer after the regulator has done its job... Not the higher tank reassure that feeds the regulator from the tank valve)
Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
No I do not have an LP disconnect- just two aluminum tanks. I have a Yamaha generator.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Ok. It sounds like you want to make it easy to remove the regulator (or the feed hose to the regulator/crossover if you have two tanks hooked up to the crossover) from a tank and put another one on without a wrench?

Why not just replace the fitting that you show in the top photo with a different one? Here is a pic of a high pressure fitting (the "tank side" of the regulator is known as "high pressure" in propane-speak) that might do the trick:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/acmegreenreg.jpg

That green part is an "Acme type 1 wrenchless tank connector". You can google that to see many variants of the type.

The fittings generally attach to each side of the regulator with standard plumbing connections. Typical connections are 1/4" or 3/8" and either "pipe thread" (like it says... a threaded pipe cut square on the end) or "flare" (where the end of the pipe has a machined bevel or shoulder typically at 45 degrees which seats to the corresponding section and forms a tighter seal than the threads alone). The brass section at the end you are showing in the top photo can be removed with a wrench and replaced with something like the Acme type 1 in the pic above. If you do that, be sure to use the same type of fitting (yours looks like 3/8" to me. You can take it to a good hardware store to confirm. You'll know whether flare or pipe thread when you remove the current one. Whichever it is, use the same.) also, use Teflon (EPDM) tape rated for gas (usually yellow in color... it's double thickness) and after installation test for leaks with a bubble solution which you'll find on the shelf next to the Teflon tape in the hardware store.

That's not a quick disconnect solution... but it's quicker than a wrench. If I answered the wrong question or you want to talk about QD with the Sturgis or Camco fittings that I use, let me know. There's a pic of my generators with hoses, tee fittings and QD setup in my photo gallery if you're interested.