Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #1

LP tank Re qualifying?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about OPD valved tanks. Do you still think after the first visual re-qualification I should just get new tank?

I'm still very interested about the qualification requirements for after the 17year re-qualification. Would it have to be Hydro tested at 22 years or would the tank be to old according to federal Law to be re-serviced? I'm interested in the theory if cost wasn't the factor. Thanks
Rod M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Toss them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod M1
I have like 5 LP 3 with old valves and I'm trying to figer out what I wont to do with them. I would like more information a LP tank testing. What I now is the folowing.

12 years after the tank's (20LB tank) birth date the tank must be visually qualified. Then 5 years after that it needs to be requalified again. Dues anyone now what kind of check is required at the 17year mark and the qualification requirements their after? Thanks
Hi Rod and welcome to the forums. Federal law now requires OPD valves on all propane tanks. Propane dealers are not legally allowed to refill tanks w/o OPD valves,
If you have aluminum tanks, the cost of new valves might be justified, but if they are steel tanks your best option might just be to junk them.
I've seen new 30 pound steel tanks at Sams for just $39.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #3

I have like 5 LP 3 with old valves and I'm trying to figer out what I wont to do with them. I would like more information a LP tank testing. What I now is the folowing.

12 years after the tank's (20LB tank) birth date the tank must be visually qualified. Then 5 years after that it needs to be requalified again. Dues anyone now what kind of check is required at the 17year mark and the qualification requirements their after? Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I believe after the 17 year mark, you need to have the 5 year hydro done again. This then becomes a 5 year re-cert until you decide to replace it or it fails.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Here are a couple of ideas as to what you might do with your tanks.

Here in rural Texas, we can still have the tanks with the old valves refilled so long as it is to be used for Agricultural Purposes Only. The dealers can't fill them for use on a barbeque grill or travel trailer, but if you are using them to fire a branding iron or to fuel a prickley pear burner, or for some other agricultural use, they will fill them for you. It is a $10,000 fine to the dealer to knowingly fill them without OPD valves for use in non-agricultural purposes.

Another use for old LP tanks is to modify them for use as portable air tanks for containing compressed air to use in inflating flat tires or blowing out water systems when winterizing your trailer. Conversion kits are available at most hardware stores.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
On review

Now that better informed members than myself have offered suggestions, I apologize for perhaps being too hasty in my reply, which was based solely on my own experience.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Trade in

If they are the common steel tanks, and are only 20# tanks. Take them, as you use them up, to your local hardware (or grocery, or ... ) where ever you have a trade-in dealer. They should be easy to spot, they'll have a steel cage full of 20# propane tanks. The value is reasonable, just a few dollors more then a refill, but you get to recycle your old tank, get a new tank full of propane for minimal cost to you. Then next time you can refill as normal as they are only distributing OPD tanks now.

Here in Richmond, VA almost everyone is a trade-in dealer, except maybe the restaurants! But the grocery store, gas stations, hardware stores, you name it. I traded in some old tanks that I inherited from old grills, etc. but I was lucky enough to get an AS with aluminum tanks. We just had them serviced at a local propane dealer. Surprisingly, it cost us $40.00 to re-certify, re-valve, and re-fill each tank.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Seems to be two issues here. One is the OPD and the other is the periodic recertification.

OPD's are now required in most states for any refills for tanks of 40lb capacity or less. For those of us with aluminum tanks, upgrading the tanks is cost effective as new OPD valves run around $20 or so. But do be careful to get an OPD with the proper dip tube length (this is usually stamped on the colar). Many LP dealers aren't very careful about this. (WBCCI had a resource for Al tank OPD's a while back).

Recertification is usually just a simple visual inspection and a date stamping thing. New tanks can go about double the recert interval to the first but then all tanks need a recert every five years or so.

Note that these requirements are for the portable, vertical propane tanks found on most trailers. The DOT tanks on motorhomes are a different story.
[whoops - that's ASME tanks on motorhomes, DOT tanks on trailers. good article in August Highways mag p 58, too, on propane)
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I had my original, 1967, 30 pound steel tanks refitted with the OPD valves by a certified propane dealer. He warned me up front about the costs involved in refitting versus buying new tanks. Since he knew how old they were, I knew he would not refit & fill the tanks if they were too far gone.

My tanks looked good to me although they obviously needed paint. New tanks are either white, or off-white, and would need to be painted. Since I wanted my tanks to be an aluminum/silver color in the final run, re -painting my final choice was a moot point.

I came out cheaper refitting my tanks with the new style valve although my visual re-certification is only good for five years instead of the 12 years associated with new tanks. They don't do hydrostatic recertification around here. Else, I would have had it done.

In five years, I will have the tanks re-inspected if the refill attendant feels it is necessary.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PaintedTanks.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	7944  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Now that better informed members than myself have offered suggestions, I apologize for perhaps being too hasty in my reply, which was based solely on my own experience.
You don't need to apologize. You gave the most cost effective solution and that is what most people would wont to now. But I like to now to hole story. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Scituate , Massachusetts
Rod and everyone else,

Here in Taxachusetts, its hard to find someone that will recertify an LP tank. I brought 2 of them to a local re-filler and supplier of welding supplies, etc. He charged $20 each for a quick look-over and new date stamps. I thought it was a rip off for what he did.

Rich
wbcci3371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I just stumbled on this thread. I'm bringing my 1987 29' Argosy out of storage after 10 years and trying to discover what might have to be done.

What is "OPD"? Does this affect the large tanks on my Argosy? Which I assume are original 1987 tanks.
Mark
mdeneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
If you have the horizontal mounted tanks, I do not think they require the OPD. They already have some sort of safety valve on them. I will try to find the information and post it here.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 AM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Check out these two threads. Good info there.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...pd+horizont%2A

http://www.airforums.com/forum...pd+horizont%2A
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-26-2004, 10:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thanks! Looks like I have no problem as my tanks are horizontal.
Mark
mdeneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
LP tank recertified with new valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcci3371
Rod and everyone else,

Here in Taxachusetts, its hard to find someone that will recertify an LP tank. I brought 2 of them to a local re-filler and supplier of welding supplies, etc. He charged $20 each for a quick look-over and new date stamps. I thought it was a rip off for what he did.

Rich
I just had my tanks inspected and stamped for $5.00 each at a propane dealer in Washington State.
You did get ripped off.
Chuck
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hi,
Let me try a little on the OPD and tank recert matter:

1. Recertification is required after 12 years of service. The most usual recert is visual; it's good for 5 more years. (Other types of recertification exist, and they run for longer, up to another 12 years. However, most dealers do not have the equipment to handle these recertifications.) For the 5-year recert, you'll get a new date followed by "E" stamped into the tank. Costs can run as far as you can imagine: nothing to 20 bucks or more, depending on what the dealer thinks he can get away with.

2. OPDs were required as of the 1998 edition of the National Fire Safety Association (NFSA) propane book. It required all new tanks to have OPDs as of that time and for all older, vertical tanks below 80 lbs (?) to have them by April 2001.

Note, then, that 1998 edition of the NSFA book required the OPD. That does not mean that all states in turn adopted the requirements in the new edition:

a. Some adopted the 1998 edition entirely. In these states, OPDs became required after April 1, 2001 on all smaller, vertical tanks. In other words, fillers cannot legally fill any (relevant) non-OPD tanks in these states. Most states fit into this category.

b. Other states maintained the older edition and did not adopt NFSA 1998. In these states, one can still fill a propane tank without the OPD. A smaller number of states fit into this category.

c. Apparently, one or two states adopted a kind of home-grown middle ground, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Hope this helps. (I had to learn all this stuff in order to get my LP-9 license in New Mexico.)

Lynn
Old 07-31-2004, 11:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
What is OPD?

and should I try to salvage these or junk them? I know nothing about tanks. I don't know how long these have been with the trailer.

We'll get new if there's any kind of a safety issue or they're not up to standard. Are they even aluminum?

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks0001.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	8105  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
and should I try to salvage these or junk them? I know nothing about tanks. I don't know how long these have been with the trailer.

We'll get new if there's any kind of a safety issue or they're not up to standard. Are they even aluminum?

thanks,
The best answer to the question can only be determined by you!
Weight the cost of new tanks to the cost of getting your old tanks updated and looking good again, then you will have basis for your decision.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
...We'll get new if there's any kind of a safety issue or they're not up to standard. Are they even aluminum?
Judging by the red rust, they are steel, not aluminum.

They will more than likely pass a visual inspection, and can be fitted for the new OPD valves. Your propane dealer will not install the new valves unless they are okay. Once he does put the new valves on, he will tell you to paint them.

If you do not care about tank color, just replace them. If you want the aluminum color (see my picture in a previous post), you will probably have to paint them yourself. At that point, it is worth consideriing relative cost in relacing versus refitting since painting is a lot of labor.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote