Old 07-26-2004, 11:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thanks! Looks like I have no problem as my tanks are horizontal.
Mark

Old 07-30-2004, 01:01 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
LP tank recertified with new valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcci3371
Rod and everyone else,

Here in Taxachusetts, its hard to find someone that will recertify an LP tank. I brought 2 of them to a local re-filler and supplier of welding supplies, etc. He charged $20 each for a quick look-over and new date stamps. I thought it was a rip off for what he did.

Rich
I just had my tanks inspected and stamped for $5.00 each at a propane dealer in Washington State.
You did get ripped off.
Chuck

Old 07-30-2004, 08:08 AM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hi,
Let me try a little on the OPD and tank recert matter:

1. Recertification is required after 12 years of service. The most usual recert is visual; it's good for 5 more years. (Other types of recertification exist, and they run for longer, up to another 12 years. However, most dealers do not have the equipment to handle these recertifications.) For the 5-year recert, you'll get a new date followed by "E" stamped into the tank. Costs can run as far as you can imagine: nothing to 20 bucks or more, depending on what the dealer thinks he can get away with.

2. OPDs were required as of the 1998 edition of the National Fire Safety Association (NFSA) propane book. It required all new tanks to have OPDs as of that time and for all older, vertical tanks below 80 lbs (?) to have them by April 2001.

Note, then, that 1998 edition of the NSFA book required the OPD. That does not mean that all states in turn adopted the requirements in the new edition:

a. Some adopted the 1998 edition entirely. In these states, OPDs became required after April 1, 2001 on all smaller, vertical tanks. In other words, fillers cannot legally fill any (relevant) non-OPD tanks in these states. Most states fit into this category.

b. Other states maintained the older edition and did not adopt NFSA 1998. In these states, one can still fill a propane tank without the OPD. A smaller number of states fit into this category.

c. Apparently, one or two states adopted a kind of home-grown middle ground, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Hope this helps. (I had to learn all this stuff in order to get my LP-9 license in New Mexico.)

Lynn
Old 07-31-2004, 12:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
What is OPD?

and should I try to salvage these or junk them? I know nothing about tanks. I don't know how long these have been with the trailer.

We'll get new if there's any kind of a safety issue or they're not up to standard. Are they even aluminum?

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks0001.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	8105  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
and should I try to salvage these or junk them? I know nothing about tanks. I don't know how long these have been with the trailer.

We'll get new if there's any kind of a safety issue or they're not up to standard. Are they even aluminum?

thanks,
The best answer to the question can only be determined by you!
Weight the cost of new tanks to the cost of getting your old tanks updated and looking good again, then you will have basis for your decision.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...We'll get new if there's any kind of a safety issue or they're not up to standard. Are they even aluminum?
Judging by the red rust, they are steel, not aluminum.

They will more than likely pass a visual inspection, and can be fitted for the new OPD valves. Your propane dealer will not install the new valves unless they are okay. Once he does put the new valves on, he will tell you to paint them.

If you do not care about tank color, just replace them. If you want the aluminum color (see my picture in a previous post), you will probably have to paint them yourself. At that point, it is worth consideriing relative cost in relacing versus refitting since painting is a lot of labor.

Tom
Old 08-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
You need to consider getting one tank that is the same size as one of the others, because the typical holding device for the tanks holds both at the top at the same time. Uneven heights would defeat that.

John
Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I have the aluminum Worthington horizontal tanks on my '94 Limited. I got the royal run-around this weekend at a Flying J while trying to get one of them refilled. According to the National Propane Gas Association there are apparently stickers available for the tanks that say they're exempt. I've emailed tech@airstream.com to find out exactly how to obtain those stickers, and find out exactly what recertification is required on the Worthington horizontal tanks to keep them in service as the 12 years will expire in '05 on mine.

I'll update this thread with the info I receive from Airstream.

Roger
Old 08-03-2004, 03:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Those two tanks were just sitting inside the trailer, I'm thinking we'll just buy new ones, not sure if we'll get aluminum or not. Aluminum to match the trailer sure looks nice, maybe we'll get aluminum later on when the time comes. I think these are going to be disposed of!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...I think these are going to be disposed of!
Your comfort level with your situation comes first.

I will say that your tanks look considerably better than the tanks I had recertified, painted, and subsequently used.

FWIW,
Tom
Old 08-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Does it matter how long the date on the tank is out. I have aluminum Worthingtons on my 75 that came with it from the PO.
Both tanks have a green handle on top and have the inside reverse threads for accepting the propans hose from the regulator. They are stamped with a date, one has 5 75 the other has 6 75 and the one with 5 75 has a scribed date of 7 87 on it the other does not. One tank is full and the other is empty.

Do they need to be refitted with new valves too?

Am I wasting my time trying to polish out the scuff, nicks, and deep marks inthem or what?

John G
Old 08-07-2004, 03:46 PM   #26
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Does it matter how long the date on the tank is out. I have aluminum Worthingtons on my 75 that came with it from the PO.
Both tanks have a green handle on top and have the inside reverse threads for accepting the propans hose from the regulator. They are stamped with a date, one has 5 75 the other has 6 75 and the one with 5 75 has a scribed date of 7 87 on it the other does not. One tank is full and the other is empty.

Do they need to be refitted with new valves too?
John, take both tanks to a good propane dealer (not just a filler) and get them recertified. Most dealers will give you a "visual" recertification (worth five years) for little or no investment.

The tanks will also need OPD valves. Again, your dealer is your source.

If you can get them recertified and new values fitted, it will almost inevitably be a great deal less expensive than buying new aluminum tanks.

Lynn
Old 08-08-2004, 10:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Guess I will pack them up and take them in on Monday. Funny looking now. One tank is semi polished and the other has a little polishing on its side. They are dinged with a few deep marrks here and there, but overall they will look good once I finish them. Just think I will let them do the refitting before I finish.

John G
Old 08-09-2004, 08:39 AM   #28
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
They are dinged with a few deep marrks here and there, but overall they will look good once I finish them.
THey'll look carefully at any ding in the tanks. (Presumably) a tank with any dents can't be requalified.

Lynn