Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
LP Regulator leak?

I've never really understood HOW the LP regulator is supposed to work, so bear with me!

My old LP tanks emptied out over the winter, so I upgraded the supply lines to the new OPD lines. I bought one 20# "Blue Rhino" tank from HD while I decided what size tank to use (20# or 30#'s - it came with two 30's). I ASSUMED (uh oh) that I could hook just one tank up, and leave the other hose unhooked while I figure out what tanks I will buy.

My first clue should have been that the oven burners just didn't seem to flame as high as the should have. Clue two was that the furnace just didn't seem to be getting very warm. I was thinking about clue two, and had mentioned to my wife that "either we had a furnace repair bill on the way....or maybe I didn't turn the tank on all the way....." that I decided to check out the tank one more time. When I lifted the bottle cover, I immediately smelled gas! I turned off the tank, and checked the connections...all o.k. I turned on the tank, and listen to the unused hose....YEP, free flowing gas! Good thing we don't smoke! God smiles on idiots! But I'm very careful about gas...I just didn't think gas would flow out the other hose, and it was a soft enough flow that one wouldn't smell it at first.

So my question... is this normal? I had the selector to the full tank, but still the gas came out the hose. I thought that the hoses (as advertized by CW) had a "free flow" limiter? Moving the selector makes no difference....is the regulator bad (it's the orginal fisher)? I've heard horror stories about newer regulators...that's why I haven't upgraded.
Any ideas?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
The whole idea behind having the regulator with the switchover valve is so you can remove a tank and refill it while the other is still in use. Assuming you have the dial pointed towards the correct tank you should be able to run on one tank without losing propane out the unused hose end. Sounds like your Fisher regulator has seen better days.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Marc.

The new Fisher regulators are as good today as they were 35 years ago.

Anything man made can fail.

Andy
inlandrv.com
arstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I think he is referring to the some off brand regulators, can't remember the name and possibly some of the Marshall ones. I would recommend getting the exact new Fisher regulator, I would say that with 25 years or so of use the one he's got has held up well.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Time to buy....

Yep, Andy and Chas,
I was referring to the Marshall brand regulators (forgot for the moment)....even CW has some stories on the web site about some horror stories. Looks like I'll be calling Andy soon. I just wanted confirmation that my (almost) thirty year old Fisher has bit the dust (sigh!).

Andy,
Is there a special piping that connects the Fisher to the main gas supply line of the trailer? Mine is rubber, and I assume orginal. Might as well replace this as well. I recall Uwe or another having troubles finding the proper fittings to make a new one fit to the trailer.
Thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Marc.

The gas suppy lines that are made of neoprene, last a long long time.

Test it with a soapy solution, before you decide to replace it.

Andy
inlandrv.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote