Old 11-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
LP Questions

We're new to the AS world, please excuse the entry level nature of my questions. We recently purchased a used Airstream and are working on maintenance repairs. On our 2007 Safari, the LP copper main line from the tanks is attached directly to the bottom of the tow frame and then is routed along under the frame outside the bellie pan.

It is smashed under the tow frame:

1) It seems that mounting the line directly under the tow frame postions it in the best place to be smashed again. It could be routed around the spare tire, through a manufactures hole in the frame, (it has a plastic plug now), around the battery box...which would route it in a way less likely to be smashed under the tow frame area. What do you think, am I being overly concerned, is this a dumb newbie/overkill idea?

2) I see the ground connection on the LP gas line to the frame. Why the ground connection? We will reinstall the connection but wonder if is it possible for the gas to explode without this connection? Why is it grounded in this particular manner? Is it just to guarantee a ground? Looks to me like the LP line touches metal in several places already.

Thank you for yr relies.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Gas and Ground

The gas line on my Argosy was also crushed in that spot. Looks like someone put a jack under the tongue a few times. I removed it and cut out the bad spot. Didn't have the proper flaring tool to flare the 1/2" line. So I took the whole thing to a plumbing shop. They made a duplicate of the damaged section and with a couple of fittings I was in business again. By replacing the damage section I didn't have to buy 12 ft of new 1/2" copper line. With the labor it cost about $60. When I reinstalled it, I made sure it was inside the frame and not under it. As for the ground, I believe it is just a convenient place to connect the common ground wire for the trailer lighting. It has nothing to do with the gas line.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
The main LP line is installed beneath the trailer for safety purposes. Half of the connections in the LP system are along that line so if there are leaks the gas is dissipated into the air rather than being trapped inside the belly pan. The other half of the connections in the system are at the appliances.

If it is mashed under the tow frame, that should be rapaired if it inhibits the flow of gas or if it is leaking. Since I'm not familiar with your trailer, I can't comment on an alternate location other than to say the original location was selected by the manufacturer as being appropriate.

The ground connection is to guarantee a positive ground.