Originally Posted by whispersiren
So I live in an older Airstream and I have an LP Leak. I can smell the tell tale rotten egg smell strongly and have turned off the tanks. HELP, I have no idea who to call to come out to fix it?? It could be the regulator, a burner in the stove, a gas line, fixture... urgh its overwhelming.
I dont have the skills or time to fix this myself.
With the propane turned off at the tanks, turn it off at all of the appliances. Turn on the gas at the tanks. Leave all of the appliances off. Do you smell propane? If so, then the leak is somewhere in the piping/hoses. If not, go to the next step.
Turn on one appliance. Do you smell propane? If so, then you've either got a leak or the propane failed to ignite. Check to see if the appliance is working at all. If it's working, then you've got a leak in that appliance. If it's not working, you've got a failure to ignite.
Hint: Start with the cooktop and the stove. Those are the only appliances with a fire inside the trailer; all the other appliances have a fire outside the trailer. So if the problem is a failure to ignite and not a leak, it has to be one of those two appliances.
Second hint: After cooktop and stove, check the furnace. The firebox of the furnace is more likely to rust through and allow propane into the trailer than the fridge or water heater since the furnace is designed to pass hot air into the trailer, but the others aren't.
Question: What was your LPG detector doing all this time while you were smelling propane? It should
have been beeping fit to bust an eardrum. By the time propane reaches a concentration you can smell, it's high enough of a concentration to set off the alarm. Especially since propane is heavier than air and settles near the floor, but your breathing zone is over five feet above the floor. Unless you were sleeping. But in order for the smell to wake you, it had to be strong, and it had to be sudden. You can get desensitized to an odor in about three minutes, so if you don't wake up within three minutes of first smelling it, the smell probably won't wake you up at all.
An LPG detector will tell you when the propane concentration near the floor reaches about 0.2%. You nose will detect propane when the concentration is about 0.4% at your nose. In other words, the detector is more sensitive than your sense of smell. Moral of the story, if you don't have an LPG detector, or if your detector is old enough to warrant replacement, get one!