Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
LP guages not working

Need some advice, my '96 34' Excella has 2 - 30# LP tanks. the guages on both tanks always seem to indicate "Full", and of course, the monitor panel on the range hood, always indicates "Full".
It doesn't seem to matter how much LP is in the tanks, they always indicate "Full" both places.
Is there a simple fix for this?

Thanks in advance

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Larry,
My system appears to show 'full' when the ohms are 'high'. Like when I have the cable disconnected at the LP Cylinder.

There is a 'ground' from the LP cylinder connectors to the frame.. check to see if it is there...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Larry,
My system appears to show 'full' when the ohms are 'high'. Like when I have the cable disconnected at the LP Cylinder.

There is a 'ground' from the LP cylinder connectors to the frame.. check to see if it is there...

I'll check it today......my question is, wouldn't one think that the guage on the tank show an accurate reading? I'm not sure, but I thing that guage is operated by some sort of a magnet, that turns according to where ever the float level is in the tank.
That little guage on the tank is removeable and can be replaced. I've never done it, so I'mnot speaking from experience.
Thanks.
Larry
Old 12-01-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
One of mine had a float hanging up. Next time they're empty, take to a full service lp supplier. They can remove the float assembly and repair. As I recall, it was less than $20.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have the same problem with the electronic tank gauge on my 94 trailer. Never have been able to figure them out. Luckily the tanks also have mechanical gauges.
Someone told me one time that when the valves are switched over to the newer OPD valves it messes something up inside the tank. I don't know if there is any truth to this but I would like to fix the electronic gauge.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My OPD valve replacement caused no issue with the gauges... Guess I lucked out.. That's rare...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
My OPD valve replacement caused no issue with the gauges... Guess I lucked out.. That's rare...

I had new OPD valves installed when the tanks were recertified. the guages didn't work before that either....the ground wire is in place, but I'll put a new terminal on it, and reattach it to the frame...
These little challenges are what makes life interesting...

Larry
Old 12-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
My tanks had a prism type view that came with the trailer originally and it seemed to work pretty well. Unfortunately the gas supply lines had to be replaced for safety. Now I am down to checking how full my tanks are by picking them up a few inches and testing by weight. I can tell pretty quickly when they are getting empty with that approach.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
shadedsilver

2014 27' FB International
Bisbee , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
My tanks had a prism type view that came with the trailer originally and it seemed to work pretty well. Unfortunately the gas supply lines had to be replaced for safety. Now I am down to checking how full my tanks are by picking them up a few inches and testing by weight. I can tell pretty quickly when they are getting empty with that approach.
Kdickson is correct. Despite the gauges loosening the wing nut and testing the weight is the most reliable method.
shadedsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The problem with my gauges on my 97, was due to bad grounds. If you remove the wires from the gauge the panel will read full, if you don't complete the circuit they will always read full. If you have a meter, check the wiring and the connectors and clean everything up, and I bet your gauges will start working. With your meter you can also test the resistance of the gauge, but those usually don't fail.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If this is the type that has a dial on the face of the tank gauge, electrical connections have nothing to do with the tank reading....only the panel reading. The tank dial gauge is a mechanical float with a spiral that turns a magnet, which in turn moves the needle. OP says BOTH the tank gauge and panel read full all the time. This indicates a mechanical gauge problem. That said, always check the wiring connections in order for accuracy between the two

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote