Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1984 27' Sovereign
Escondido , California
Hopefully this is helpful to somebody else who’s contemplating changing from rusty steel to shiny aluminum (taller) tanks, like we did. Our trailer is an ’84 Sovereign and I found that it did not have the pin at the bottom like many others do:

I was fully prepared for the worst when I discovered that our tie-down rod was too short. I searched and found replacement threaded studs w/ tested strength ratings here:

Last night I crawled under our trailer to figure out how to attach a new, longer rod and weld on some bracketing nuts, (rather than drilling a hole through it.) I found that ours was attached at the frame via a rod coupling welded to a cross member on the tongue. The lower threads were run all the way down, through the rod coupling. Threaded through the bottom end of the coupling were the 10 (rusty) threads I needed to attach the wing nut at the topside!

With some penetrating oil, a little heat, and the longest ¾” wrench I could find I double nutted the top threads and broke the rod free. I was able to raise the original rod so that the threads at the top were flush with the top of the wing nut, while keeping all of the threads in the rod coupling that is welded to the frame at the bottom. (I added a nut at the bottom to keep the whole thing from spinning.)

I don’t have any spare threads to use one of Lewster's locks, as I originally planned, but will use a cable like rickandsandi.

84Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)