Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
LP gas regulator stuck in green

I have a 2013 Airstream Sport 22 and just noticed that this season the LP gas regulator indicator is stuck on green no matter what I do. Green in the open or closed position. Also turned it back and forth between tanks a couple of times. Tanks are full and I've tapped it a couple of times without luck. Gas seems to be getting tot the trailer just fine. But does anyone have any tricks to getting it unstuck. Or are these indicators prone to failure? Should I be looking into one of the digital ones?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've only noticed mine go red with the active tank runs out of propane. I verified it went red just recently when my active tank was used up. Haven't noticed it when I turn both tanks off. Is it supposed to go red when both tanks are turned off?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
turn off both tanks, turn on the stove and run the lines out of gas, then check and see if the indicator is red. If you have pressure in the lines, it will show green.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
turn off both tanks, turn on the stove and run the lines out of gas, then check and see if the indicator is red. If you have pressure in the lines, it will show green.

Damon

Thanks for the quick response. I will try running the stove without the propane connected. If it's still green, indicating like you say that there is still pressure in the lines, what's the next step?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Sort of a side line but turning off both tanks and come back in about a half hour and try to light a gas burner. If it lights and burns for a short time before it goes out, it also means you have no gas leaks in your system. I do this a couple of times a year to verify the system is tight.

Technically if you turn off both tanks and release the pressure in the lines via the stove, that indicator should go red. If it doesn't you probably need to replace the regulator if you want to use that gas indication feature.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
I have a 2013 Airstream Sport 22 and just noticed that this season the LP gas regulator indicator is stuck on green no matter what I do. Green in the open or closed position. Also turned it back and forth between tanks a couple of times. Tanks are full and I've tapped it a couple of times without luck. Gas seems to be getting tot the trailer just fine. But does anyone have any tricks to getting it unstuck. Or are these indicators prone to failure? Should I be looking into one of the digital ones?
The indicator will only turn red when the pressure drops to near zero in the line to the tank that the changeover lever is pointing at. In general that won't happen unless propane is actually being used for something.

The safest and most reliable way to check it is to close the tank valve on the tank that the changeover lever points at, be sure the other tank valve is open, then turn on (and light if applicable) a propane appliance. The indicator should turn red in under a minute, although it can take a little longer if liquid propane has condensed in the pigtail.

It is rare for them to stick. There aren't really any digital ones, as such, that I've seen, just ones that have a magnetic sensor in addition to the red/green indicator.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
ahem, I just had both tanks empty and they were both still green. My clue was the flashing LP on my refrigerator...

At the dealer now correcting that and a few other things. I am glad for the two year warranty....
Old 05-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The indicator you speak of is only a telltale for the auto-tranfer valve.

It simply indicates if the tank chosen by the position of the selector has pressure.

It will indicate red only when the primary tank has been exhausted.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I would not worry about it. The problem with turning on both tanks is that you do not know you are out of propane till you have used up both tanks! Instead, we turn off the second tank. Then, when the first tank is empty we.just switch to the second tank and know it is time to refill the first tank.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We are on our second regulator with the red/green indicator. The first regulator failed and the second has served well for many years. Both had/have the same indicators: color in a band below a cap. In both cases, the color band is half red and half green when one tank is empty and the selection lever is still pointing to that tank. Switching the selection lever to the second tank turns the indicator completely green. If the selection lever is not switched to the second tank when the indicator is green and red, our indicator stays green and red until the second tank is empty. Then the indicator is solid red.

I probably don't have to mention how I found this out.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
'78 Sovereign

1978 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
On the subject of regulators, does anyone have a selector cap for a 78 Sovereign gas regulator?
frankrightbrain is offline   Reply With Quote