Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Excelsior , Minnesota
LP Gas lines

Hi,

Finally ready to run gas lines on my 59 Tradewind. Read lots of info here but than I go to Home Depot and things don't quite match. I ended up with, 10 ft Type L copper tubing 3/8 ID this is for the main line down the middle and to branch off of that I bought 3/8 OD x 50 ft. Will these two sizes work and also wondering what you run off the tank regulator?

I have no idea what I'm doing so thanks for your patience and help.

Betsy

Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
Betsy,
I used a main 1/2" black iron header down the middle, and branched off of that with copper.
If you want to stop by and see how I did mine you're more than welcome. I'm just up the street from you in Minnetonka.

Also, if you're not yet registered in the Early Tradewind Registry, be sure to sign up soon.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I agree you should use 1/2" tubing and you really don't need the type L. You can straighten the coil tubing by raping it around a stationary object and then around a pulling object like a cable hoist and began stretching it. This will set the copper similar to a type L. A full 50' roll would stretch probably 6' Just cut off what you need plus a little more for waste and stretch it.. You could use trailer ball on a car and roll forward a foot or so on a short length and got out and look at it. I think the Ferrel fitting are the best but when you make them up you bottom the fitting out and then pull it back slightly before tightening it up leaving a little room for it to expand if needed. Once the tubing has been stretched it is easy to work with and if you don't have any benders go to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap pair.
There may be guide marks on the bender that can be used for right and left hand bends for stretch and offsets, The best way for
armature
bending is to make the bend with a little more tubing than you think you need and then measure and cut to fit.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Excelsior , Minnesota
Thanks

Thank you both and yes Mark I would love to come by and can I bring the person that is helping me. My email is emvork@yahoo.com. Thanks for your offer! Is the steel so it won't get crushed, the guy at HD said 1/2 was way overkill but the consensus here seems to be its the way to go so I'll follow the advice of my fellow Airstreamers (I'm still just a wanna-be-er until it actually roles down the road).

Betsy
Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Here is a short video on copper straightening.
YouTube - Copper tube cutting and straightening
Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Excelsior , Minnesota
video

Thanks that was a great video I was really surprised by how it was done, now the guy helping me will think I'm really with it!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
From my regulator down to the 1/2" black pipe under the trailer it appears to be about a 3ft long 3/8" black rubber gas hose. From regulator to the tank it appears to be a 1/4" black rubber hose.