Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
portland , Oregon
LP Gas line

I need to take the belly pan off on my 66 tradewind. I would like to replace the gas line. Is there any reason not to install the gas line inside the belly pan rather than the outside? should I use copper or black rubber kind? or proflex?

thanks
steve

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I wouldn't install gas piping in the concealed and not-so-vented space. Although it would be better protected from road hazards if inside the belly pan, any gas leaks would collect in the cavity and possibly (probably) find their way into the rig. Not so good.

If the piping is installed outside the belly pan, like the new Airstream trailers and even our 1979 Argosy Minuet was, leaks are venting to the atmosphere and you can inspect any joints that aren't inside the cabin (and the joints inside the cabin, like around the furnace and stove/oven are visible inside the cabin).

One change I would like to see on ours. I will, if I ever have any RV gas repiping to do, sleeve our gas pipe inside pvc. May not be true, but I've heard the Canadian Safety Association (CSA) requires this for Airstream and other RVs sold in Canada. Whether true or not, seems a grand idea.

Let the road alligators jump up and nick the pvc pipe cover -- even really mess it up. You'll see the damage pretty easily. And, you won't be very likely to get nicks through your copper gas line if it is protected by almost 1/8" wall of the pvc pipe.

Anyway, I would run gas piping outside the belly pan and strapped securely to the frame to reduce movement.

Jim

Jim

WBCCI #4822 SKP # 094415
find us here
http://dreamstreamr.com
http://dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I ran the gas pipe on our Liner, in soft copper, used under slab, and wrapped it in pipe insulation.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
portland , Oregon
thank you guys. I have used TracPipe before and they are great with no leak ever if installed right! expensive, but easy to work with and safe. I will run it inside the belly pan. Less holes. Good luck everyone.

Steve
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverad View Post
thank you guys. I have used TracPipe before and they are great with no leak ever if installed right! expensive, but easy to work with and safe. I will run it inside the belly pan. Less holes. Good luck everyone.

Steve
Steve,

The LPG tubing is installed outside the belly skin for safety purposes. With this scenario any leakage will vent to the outside instead of building up in the cavity space between the belly skin and the floor.

Kevin

"...the most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticised."

Ulysses S. Grant

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Yes an unbroken run of solid wall pipe has extremely small chances of making a bomb out of an enclosed space but the point to notice is the majority of the under trailer "gas line" should actually be described as the distribution manifold where the branch circuits attach to ---when there are 20 or 30 individual pieces as an assemblage carrying gas the chance for a pin-point seep is astronomically increased. If there is a seep between the floor and belly pan you will not smell it until long after it reached dangerous proportions nor can you easily leak check the fittings.

An exception MIGHT be to have a multi-tap manifold exposed near the A-Frame tank area and solid & unbroken lines (armored?) all the way to each individual point-of-use shut-off valves - only about five times the copper required and still a hazard since runs are in unattended & inaccessible areas - but MAYBE a better option than hiding the works...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
This is a safety issue. From ANSI/NFPA 1192 Standard on RV’s.
  • Propane line routing and accessibility - all joints in propane lines must be accessible for periodic leak testing and repair. Lines may not be installed in spaces where a nail or screw could pierce the line.
I would not install the propane lines inside the belly.

Chris
Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Question about the thread sealant used on my AS gas lines? When I broke a flare fitting lose, it had a solid sealant on the threads and not pipe dope or tape. Is this to make it shake proof? I could not find something like it at Low's or HD. What do you use?
Fred
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Check any propane distributor, not just a refilling agent, or plumbing supply house for the sealant.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
portland , Oregon
After some thinking you are right, I will run the gas line outside the belly pan. You guys are great thank you for all the good tips

steve
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverad View Post
After some thinking you are right, I will run the gas line outside the belly pan. You guys are great thank you for all the good tips

steve
Steve.

Atta Boy.

You made the right choice.

LPG is also an explosive hazard.

DO NOT ever let it acculate. Placing LPG tubing in the underbelly, is sort of begging for trouble, on a red carpet.

Be safe, not sorry.

Exposed LPG tubing, is the only way to go.

Yes, it can be damaged from rocks, but that is a very small risk in comparison.

Welcome to Airstreaming, and it's tons of questions.

Andy