Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
LP Gas Detector alarm - no reason

Boondocking on the Metolius River this past weekend. I was sitting out by the fire and my wife was taking a shower in our 16' Bambi (her first shower). She poked her head out of the door and asked what was that sound. I went in and heard the LP gas detector making a constant tone/alarm. The green light was blinking normally and there was absolutely no smell of LP gas. I checked the small manual on the unit and none of the troubleshooting conditions matched this situation. After about 10 minutes of listening to the annoying sound (the test button did not silence the alarm), the tone ust stopped.

Battery power was within normal range (11.94 volts when I checked 30 minutes later).

The only thing I can suspect is that water somehow got to the panel or the leads and created an abnormal fault condition and then after 10 minutes or so the "short" was cleared when the moisture/water dried. The panel on the 16' footer is on the outside wall of the shower. If this is the case, then I need to figure out how water got there.

Any ideas why this happened?

Thanks,
Hugh Hegedus
2007 16' Bambi
Bend, Oregon
hdhegedus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
11.94 volts of battery voltage is completely dead, and could cause all kinds of electrical glitches. Fully charged is more like 12.65+ volts.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
11.94 volts - completely dead? - don't think so

Thanks Overlander63 for the quick reply, but it seems hard to believe that 11.94 volts represents a completely dead battery. A) it was a brand new Interstate battery and fully charged/floated with an Xtreme battery conditioner/charger b) it had supplied the 12V power for the trailer for the previous 36 hours (fridge fan, occasional water pump, a few lights at night) and C) it continued to supply power for all above without any problem following this condition with the LP detector for the rest of the day. Yes, the voltage was on the low side because the loads placed on it for the previous 36 hours, but calling it dead seems an exaggeration.

I should also say that the manual for the LP detector actually states that the detector will provide alarm notification of dropping voltage, but only when the voltage gets below 10 volts. Also, the indication for this condition did not match my scenario. Again, the light continued to blink green as normal and the tone was a continuous one.

I suppose a call to the Detector Manufacturer might provide an answer as well.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Open Circuit Voltage
~ State-of-charge
12.65 V 100 %
12.45 V 75 %
12.24 V 50 %
12.06 V 25 %
11.89 V 0 %
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have seen the chart that Terry refers to, and I have also seen this one. If you use this chart you would have roughly 40% of your battery left when you checked it. However, you stated that your wife was in the shower. that means the pump was running and you had a much lower voltage at that time. Either way you did not have much battery left at that point and that may be the cause of the false alarm. Just to be safe, check with the detector company. Better to be safe then.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	state of charge.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	39900  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

Was You wife cooking? My detector goes off eveytime she cooks. Our detector runs on 9v battery.
Regards from Russell in Hot and Sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Richard,

Your voltage chart lines up better with my memory and the status panel on my Bambi. Thanks for that. I did consider the fact that she was showering and that the draw would have dropped the voltage lower. The concern was that the indications on the LP detector for a low voltage condition (mine is hard wired to the battery) were not present. I plan to call the detector company today and see what they say. Thanks all.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhegedus
I plan to call the detector company today and see what they say. Thanks all.
Let us know what they say, it may help the next guy with the same problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
On our last outing, the LP detector went off but I believe it is because I was applying spray on sun block in the coach.

Maybe it was some form of spray something or other. Sometimes dust settles on the sensor part of the detector. Maybe a blast of compressed air if it continues.

Also, if your batteries are really low, the little blinking light on the detector will blink yellow or red, instead of green.

Jonathan
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Next time it happens, just press on the button for about 5-10 seconds to reset.
It happen to me on the 2005 Safari when it was less then 1 year old, in the middle of the night while with full hookups and nothing on other then the clock on the microwave. And no, it's not connected to the shower wall.
It hasn't happen again. (knock on wood).

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Thanks all. I have a question into Atwood on this. Just as a follow up to the last couple posts:

- I did try hitting the test button to silence the alarm; no effect
- no sprays/chemicals of any sort in the trailer; my wife doesn't use hair spray (she's naturally beautiful )
- and there was no cooking going on a that time.

We'll see what Atwood has say. Will post back.

Hugh
Old 06-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
LP Gas Alarm

Mine went off several times, before I found out that my puppy was pushing the test button with his foot!!!!

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Mine went off several times, before I found out that my puppy was pushing the test button with his foot!!!!

Don
Oh, brother. Imagine trying to explain that to tech support after the initial call in...
Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Answer - Kind of

Well, I spoke with a Technician at Atwood (the LP Detector manufacturer) and his answer, though lacking in the kind of confidence you normally hope for when talking with the company that makes the thing, was that the detector might have picked up some other chemical "smell" that triggered the abnormal alarm. He said since the trailer was new, there might have been some offgassing that the detector picked up. He said that if the situation re-occurs they would be happy to replace it, but thinks I should be fine.

He did not think that water was an issue, nor the battery, as he said that there were clear alarm repsonses that I would have seen with the low battery, but I didn't (unless off course the detector has some flaw).

Well, that's the last word.

Kind of makes me want to simulate an LP leak and make sure the thing really does work.

Well, I'll carry on.

Hugh
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The answer you got does sound possible. Newer trailers will off gas alot of different fumes. It will happen more when the weather is hot.

You can test your detector with a butane lighter. Point the lighter at the unit and press the button. Do not spin the wheel to light the flame. The unit should sound off in a few seconds and remain sounding untill the gas level drops into the safe range.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Richard,

A butane lighter....makes perfect sense. Will definitely give that a try.

And yes, the offgassing certainly makes sense as well. When I designed and built my current home, I spend considerable effort reducing these indoor chemicals (all natural floor coverings, zero VOC paints, formaldehyde free cabinet materials, soy-based spray foam insulation, etc.). I'm sure the same care was not taken with the AS outfitting.

Hugh