Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2002, 01:25 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph O. Smith
Thanks guys

I want to thank everyone for your great advice on the detectors. I feel safer already. Pray that my water heater works. If it doesn't, I'll be back!

Joe
Joseph O. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 03:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Joe,
Have a safe and wonderful trip. I've been polishing my rockguard and entrance door by hand today and my arms are getting tired. It is currently 58 degrees so I will probably fire up the furnace for awhile to check everything out before leaving next Thur. morning for a 3 day deer hunt.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Smelling the Propane and not the roses

I think your question is a good one Joe. I can smell propane in my rig all the time. It's a '78 Soveriegn. So far I haven't died in the nite, butthe smell makes me wonder why not. I think the idea that the gas dropping out the bottom makes sense, but I would sure like to not have the smell. I have the pilot's for the oven and stove top lit and of course the hot water heater. That's it. It can't be the Catalytic heater, because I don't use it all that often and I smell propane all the time. Is it from the burning propane? JLD
Old 10-31-2002, 09:49 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Smelling the Propane and not the roses

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan D'Andrea
and I smell propane all the time. Is it from the burning propane? JLD
Joan,

I haven't picked up how long you have owned your A/S but I know that as you get to burning the last of the propane in a tank, there seems to be an increase in the concentration of the chemical which gives propane its odor. This odor becomes apparent as the tank runs dry even though the various gas consuming devices are burning properly and no leak is present.

For example I remember on our last trip I was in the bathroom after taking a shower. I had the roof hatch open and I smelled the propane odor coming through the vent. It was obviously coming from the water heater which was in use.

Shortly after getting dressed I went outside and Patty yelled at me that the igniter indicator light for the water heater was now on solidly. I went over to the water heater and it was not burning. I checked the propane tank and saw it was empty. Once I opened up the other bottle and reset the ignition switch, the water heater started up...no more propane smell.

I'm not sure this is your issue but when a tank is close to running dry, the smell can make you think you have a leak.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Propane smell

Thanks Jack. I think you may have answered my question. I know we are on the very last of that tank. I have been hoping it would finish up so I can take it for a refittingof the valve. You seem to have a good deal of experience. I hve only had my AS a few months and am getting used to it. Joan
Old 10-31-2002, 10:43 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Joan,

I've posted this tip before but there is a fairly easy way to check for leaks in your propane system. I have been told this by several folks and it seems to be logical and works for me.

You turn on your tank and light your stove. Once it is burning ok, you turn it off. Then go to your tanks and shut them off. Wait 20-30 minutes. Go back to the stove and attempt to light it, do not turn on the gas tanks. If the stove lights and burns, your system is holding pressure. If it has very little initial flame or cannot be lit, you probably have a leak somewhere in the system.

In my old trailer I had an inline leak detector. You pushed down on the detector when you initially opened the gas bottle. The gas was forced through some type of liquid within the detector. You would see bubbles in the liquid until the system came up to pressure. If the bubbles continued without stopping, you had a leak in the system.

I'm glad that my initial guess about a near empty tank seems to be the situation. You might try the other test sometime in the future.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:02 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph O. Smith
Joan, I see you got lots of good advice on your gas smell. Truly, I am still learning and can apply the advice myself. All I know is that if I smelled gas I'd be worried. That's why when I bought my 22 year old, the first thing I did was pay to have it checked. I used my Airstream for the first time a couple a weeks ago. I threw down some rugs to soften my "hardwood" flours. I haven't re-carpeted because I STILL have a water heater hose leak. I thought I was finished with leaks, but during the trip I discovered a wet spot near the one I fixed. Patch, patch, patch. My next questions will be how to polish the top of the trailer. Standing on top of a ladder seems to be a ticket to the local emergency room. Peace, Joe
Joseph O. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:23 AM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Joe's way is the best way to be at peace with the odor and know it is not a leak. Even a small leak will give off the smell. You can also get a LP leak detector from Campingworld and check it out for yourself whenever the mood or odor strikes.

Leak detector
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 01:22 PM   #29
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
This is a GREAT thread...I haven't even got time to read it all...but am coming back to do that...and to cut and paste the info into WORD so I can print it out...THANK you Brett, & all.. Good info and tips.

TO???

I could NOT remember which Thread I promised to tell when I got pictures downloaded. I just did it, and I'm putting out 'feelers'..
I can't remember who it was on here that's waiting for the photos of my restoration, and there's so many forums I can't find it. ,
I've fianally started a Photo Album on here. ...
To see the 2 on here... , just go to the Member's Photos and you'll see them.
They are progress shots,,,and lots of unfinished things are apparent.

This is again,,,a GREAT thread. Thank you everyone.