Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Low Gas Pressure: Low stove flame, hot water heater won’t ignite.

I have a new 2018 Flying Cloud - 19’ bought in March. We’ve taken it out four times - and now on our fifth. No problems except for this 5th trip. Propane gas is VERY low on the stove and the hot water heater will not light - nor will the furnace. Thankfully the fridge is working (on gas). Any ideas?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
When I say propane gas is low on the stove, I mean the flame is low.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Low Gas Pressure: Low stove flame, hot water heater won’t ignite.

Well - sounds like you are low on propane on your main tank. Otherwise a bad regulator at the tank. Open up your second tank and see if that solves the problem (likely low propane on main tank)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am not a gas expert; however, I have experienced odd things with my camper and LP. A few things to check- make sure the fridge is actually running on gas and not something else. Second, I had a bad hose on my tank to the regulator and it caused all kinds of weird things- no gas, some gas, etc. make sure the connections are good and the manual switch is ok on the regulator when you check to make sure the tank has gas in it. Lastly, shut all gas appliances off then light the stove and let it go for a bit. Does the flame improve? There may be air in the line which is common at first after not using a while. It can impact other appliances but the stove tends to be the best first point of testing.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Jacksonville , Florida
Same problem

2018 Globetrotter
Same problem
At factory, tech tested propane regulators

Found Low gas pressure
Adjusted regulator gas pressure
Result.
Better flame at burners, quick disconnects

Done in 10 min
Mento05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Classy Roscoe

Tjwoods1,

Back in 2015, we took delivery on a 2015 Flying Cloud 28’. All the systems work perfectly.

It took about 6 trips before we experienced low gas pressure as you described.

We were up at about 6000 feet just outside Santa Fe, NM when the furnace would not light and we received an error indication on the water heater. We had gas but all the flames seemed very low.

Several appliances would not run or would not run very long.

Lighting the gas stove top, the flame was very low.

So I suspected that the LP tank was almost out but it should have swapped tanks as the regulator switches between tanks by itself.

On that Airstream there was no indicator gauge to show fuel level, so I just used my hand to feel the fuel level because the liquid in the tank is usually a bit colder than air temperature.

It seemed that I had plenty of gas in both tanks but still not enough gas pressure to drive the appliances.

After swapping to a spare tank we carry, still no joy.

The only thing left to do, without a testing gauge and getting into an area that requires a deal more experience and training, I decided to make a minor adjustment on the main gas pressure regulator.

If done carefully, this adjustment can be done in the field with out danger and equipment.

First, turn OFF both tanks at their valves.
Next, looking at the front of the requlator (gray colored assembly that each tanks hose connects to) there is a cap in the middle of that regulator with a slot in it.

That slotted cap will unscrew and reveal an adjustment screw.

Taking a pencil or felt pen, make a mark on the inside body of the regulator and the adjustment screw. This will give you an index mark to use later.

That adjustment screw allows you to increase/decrease the gas pressure on the LP system.

Taking a flat blade screwdriver, turn the adjustment screw clockwise a quarter turn, ONLY!

Put the cover screw cap back on and tighten ( snugly but not too tight)

Turn the gas back on at the tanks and go light the stove top. Observe the flame height and see if there is improvement.

If none, repeat the process of adjustment but don’t go past one full turn!

If you see no change in flame level after completing a total of 4 attempts, STOP.

Take your trailer to a LP gas retailer and have the requlator tested. It may have failed of is failing. They are not expensive.

FYI - the requlator is a very simple device. It contains a diaphragm connected to a very small dumbbell shaped affair. This dumbbell is mounted in such a way as to press againt a small orfice where the gas in the propane tank passes into the gas distribution system. The gas pressure in the tank presses on the diaphragm but the spring that you adjust presses back in such a way as to only allow the exact volume of propane to pass regardless of the volume of gas in the tank.

Sometimes that little dumbbell can stick because of impurities in the gas or if you are at the right elevation and low enough ambient temperature, the gas pressure of the propane is not sufficient to power all of the appliances.

Every individual appaliance in the vehicle has its own non-adjustable regulator by safety design. But the main adjustable regulator on the tanks is usually set a few inches of water (method of measurement for compressed gasses) higher than the combined requirement of all the appliances in the distribution system.

Regulators are designed to fail safe, so if it is failing it just turns off the gas. However, they are adjustable so when all the appliances are requiring fuel, the total demand can be satisfied.

If you don’t feel comfortable making this adjustment, don’t! That your rig to the propane supplier. They have the training and the gear.

Safe travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Do not self adjust a regulator blindly, you must use a manometer. You can buy one or build one, I went the buy route from Amazon. There is a fine line between correct pressure and dangerous high pressure levels.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Thanks so much for the advice offered. After inspecting and making adjustments I am included to think it is a faulty regulator. I am going to take it in tomorrow and have a technician look it over. I’ll post the results if it helps others who may experience similar problems in the future.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Check for Airstream recalls...http://www.arfc.org/rvs/airstream/recalls.aspx

I had the exact same problem you are describing with my new 2016 Airstream shortly after purchasing it. Airstream ended up sending me a new regulator. It took about 20 minutes to remove the old regulator and install the new one. No problems since then.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Simple cheapest try first.

Turn off the propane valves at the bottles .

Disconnect the bottles

Turn on the stove and all other propane appliances including a portable grill if you have one connected to the LP quick connect.

Wait a few minutes and shut/ close the appliances.

Reconnect the propane tanks and slowly open the valves.

Try the stove again.

The same thing happened to me last week and this worked like a charm.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
I have a new 2018 Flying Cloud - 19’ bought in March. We’ve taken it out four times - and now on our fifth. No problems except for this 5th trip. Propane gas is VERY low on the stove and the hot water heater will not light - nor will the furnace. Thankfully the fridge is working (on gas). Any ideas?
Hi tjwoods1,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Regulator!!!! Some fridges have a gas pressure gauge in the fridge compartment. I believe you should be seeing 11" WC
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Let us know what happens. I know I went through a mess with mine. It started when I bought new tank hoses to replace the older ones- just because they were eight or so years old. Little did I know the new ones would be defective. I lost all the gas in one tank and the other one would not let gas through- at all times. It was awful but I learned a few things:

1) Never open more than one tank/ignore the automatic switching regulator
2) If the tank is full and there is no functionality, check the hose then the regulator indicator.

I found out the hoses were bad when CampingWorld informed me about the company-wide issue they had experienced with the hoses. When I purchased new tanks I bought one aluminum with a gauge on it!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:12 AM   #14
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice offered. After inspecting and making adjustments I am included to think it is a faulty regulator. I am going to take it in tomorrow and have a technician look it over. I’ll post the results if it helps others who may experience similar problems in the future.
All good suggestions in this thread. I would recommend closely checking your supply lines below the pan if you haven't already. It's possible that animals have eaten a hole in one of them. I had a similar problem to yours just after buying my trailer at the end of a one month trip. I found this :
Click image for larger version

Name:	rodent-gas-line.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	325432
You can't tell from the photo but there are many tiny teeth marks around the hole. Apparently some critters find rubber delicious.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Great Comments. I will post the findings once the tech guy gets back to me with what he has determined is the cause.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Word from the Repair Tech is a bad regulator and controller. Had to replace both. Question now is if Airstream will honor the repair costs. We were camping in Central Oregon and the temperature dropped to below freezing. Luckily we had a portable propane heater, so we didn't freeze inside. However, water outside froze. We cut our trip short and headed home and called the Airstream Dealer in Eugene, where we lived. They said they couldn't deal with it for over a month out! That's when we went to another RV repair tech in Eugene and they took care of it pronto. I am hoping Airstream will reimburse me.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Airstream contacted me and will reimburse me for the expense. Yay!