Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

vidalia , Georgia
Line routing

I am planning a shell off restoration of a 66 overlander. The original lines were attached to the belly skin. My question is this, Should I run the new lines the same way or should I route them inside the belly skin between the frame rails? Also what type of lines should I run? Flared copper, hard soldered copper, braided flex?

Thanks
Glt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Below the belly pan as it was.
If it's in the belly and there's a leak it can build to explosive levels, as well as leak into the trailer from the many holes going through the floor leading to severe explosion and or suffocation hazard. Plus nearly impossible to know if there's a leak and get to it to fix.
Flared soft copper tubing.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you are talking about the propane lines they must be located outside, below the belly pan as they were originally. A leak in them, if they were in the belly pan, would cause a gas build up and potential explosion. Propane is heavy, and will pool inside the belly pan.

The system used is flared soft copper pipe, as original. All connections other than the last one to the appliance are to be made outside the trailer (below the belly pan). Airstream did it that way in 1966, and still does it in 2016.

Flex pipe of the type used in homes for final connections to the appliances and available at Home Depot etc. is not legal in RV use and not approved for such use. It is only for occasional flexing, not the continuous type that would be encountered in an RV.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

vidalia , Georgia
Great info.

Thanks guys
Glt12 is offline   Reply With Quote